• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Puttu

putsi

New Kit
Puttu was neutered wednesday, last night he stopped eating, just wanted to lay on his side. He accidentally ate two small pieces of romaine when I offered them. His tummy is making gurgling noises, does it mean the stomach is still working?

I feel so bad that we neutered him. I blame myself for his pain. This is horrible. I have slept about 10hours this week, I think you all can relate to my worries.

We are now waiting that my boyfriends mom comes to pick us, then we have an hour long drive to vet. God knows how long it's gonna take there. This is when I hate that we don't own a car right now.

I feel so so so bad even words cant describe it. :cry:

If rabbit has a bloat, does his tummy still make those gurgling noises? I can hear them between his back legs. Sorry for bad english, no sleep and cried my eyes out, can't think anything.

Last edited:
He's still digging and biting hay that "is on his way". His stomach maybe doesn't feel so hard anymore, or maybe i'm just dreaming.

Our ride should arrive pretty soon..

Hopefully our vet can see him and not just some random cat/dog vet. Assistant said on the phone that she is pretty busy today but.. HOPES UP!

He had similar case in may, or atleast I remember it was like this..

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Puttu is unwell. Please don't blame yourself; getting him neutered was the right and responsible thing to do.

I'm not sure about the gurgling noises but you're doing the right thing in going to the vet.

Sending lots of vibes for Puttu and hugs for you xxx

P.S. Your English is still great x

You are certainly not at fault for getting Puttu neutered. I very much doubt that his current problem has anything to do with his neuter at all. I hope that you get on OK at the Vets and that Puttu will soon be bouncing about again as normal xx

Sending get better vibes for Puttu. The stress of the neuter may have upset his stomach resulting in him not wanting to eat. As you say he had a similar episode a while ago it is worth looking at his diet in case something is not suiting him.

Sending loads of get well soon vibes for Puttu. I hope your journey is not too stressful and that the vet is able to help.

They suspect he has a peptic ulcer! I don't know what it's called when talking about bunnies. Good news so far, he ate a little :) woah I'm so relieved it's not bloat!!! We won't give him anymore Metacam, becaude that will just make it worse.

Updating later.

Last edited:
They suspect he has a peptic ulcer! I don't know what it's called when talking about bunnies. Good news so far, he ate a little :) woah I'm so relieved it's not bloat!!! We won't give him anymore Metacam, becaude that will just make it worse.

Updating later.

Bless him, I expect the Vet has put him on an anti ulcer medication such as Ranitidine or Cimetidine xx

Updating later.

I am so sorry to hear about your little Puttu.

The vet can give Zantac - probably already has?

Sending loads of vibes for you both xx

Thank you all for those vibes :love:

Here comes the update, it was a long day.

So our vet thinks he has peptic ulcer, she said she believes that his previous cases of illness were caused by it. Not eating for 12hours, then suddenly back to normal, stressing so much after his vaccine, neuter and probably hormones.

They gave him buprenorphine, midazolam, metoclopramide, and something for gastric acid, vet bill doesn't say what it was. He also got liquids under his skin.

We will have to give him pepcid(famotidine) for three weeks, it's going to be absolutely hard to give him his meds, but I will do anything to get him better.

I feel so relieved that we finally found the answer to his illness. :love:

And our vet was awesome! She took us in right away :thumb: We were told that gurgling noises mean that his tummy is still moving, he didn't have any excessive gas!

Last edited:
Thank you all for those vibes :love:

Here comes the update, it was a long day.

So our vet thinks he has peptic ulcer, she said she believes that his previous cases of illness were caused by it. Not eating for 12hours, then suddenly back to normal, stressing so much after his vaccine, neuter and probably hormones.

They gave him buprenorphine, midazolam, metoclopramide, and something for gastric acid, vet bill doesn't say what it was. He also got liquids under his skin.

We will have to give him pepcid(famotidine) for three weeks, it's going to be absolutely hard to give him his meds, but I will do anything to get him better.

I feel so relieved that we finally found the answer to his illness. :love:

And our vet was awesome! She took us in right away :thumb: We were told that gurgling noises mean that his tummy is still moving, he didn't have any excessive gas!

It's great you've got a diagnosis on Puttu. That's one of the very hardest things to achieve, as so often a vet will be stumped :thumb:

Sending vibes and strength for you to give him his meds .. I hope it's not too stressful for both of you. Three weeks is a fair while to give meds, so I hope he gets used to it :)

It's great you've got a diagnosis on Puttu. That's one of the very hardest things to achieve, as so often a vet will be stumped :thumb:

Sending vibes and strength for you to give him his meds .. I hope it's not too stressful for both of you. Three weeks is a fair while to give meds, so I hope he gets used to it :)

I am so, so happy that finally, after all this time we got a diagnosis! :p
He was so tired when we got home, he ate hay all drugged up, forgot that he had any in his mouth so I kept petting him and talking to him to keep him awake. Vets gave him pieces of apple, and he was sooo happy that he got some, since we don't give it to him anymore :lol:
He is still sleepy, but after being in pain, drugs in the system, no sleep, stressful ride to the vet, getting neutered, all this in two days. I think its ok. He is eating though, lots of hay, pieces of cilantro, lollo rosso, romaine, rasberry leafs .. I also gave him one piece of carrot, and he ate that too!

What do you guys think; since he hates syringes so much, would it be better that I smash the pepcid, and hide it to small piece of banana or something that he loves? This is the time when I want to keep him stress free.

Last edited:
He was so tired when we got home, he ate hay all drugged up, forgot that he had any in his mouth so I kept petting him and talking to him to keep him awake. Vets gave him pieces of apple, and he was sooo happy that he got some, since we don't give it to him anymore :lol:
He is still sleepy, but after being in pain, drugs in the system, no sleep, stressful ride to the vet, getting neutered, all this in two days. I think its ok. He is eating though, lots of hay, pieces of cilantro, lollo rosso, romaine, rasberry leafs .. I also gave him one piece of carrot, and he ate that too!

What do you guys think; since he hates syringes so much, would it be better that I smash the pepcid, and hide it to small piece of banana or something that he loves? This is the time when I want to keep him stress free.

You could certainly try that. Puttu may get wise to the 'trick' though so you could try hiding the Pepcid crushed and hidden in other foods he likes so he does not associate any particular treat with a hidden dose of Pepcid.

I hope that Puttu remains well now xx

I am so pleased you have been given a diagnosis of Puttu's upsets. I have to give one of my bunnies heart medicine twice a day and I sprinkle some oats onto a small leaf of spring greens or lettuce then put the medicine into that, although mine is in liquid form. Banana sounds a good idea as well, it wouldn't work for me though as I would have to finish off all the remaining banana! I hope you find a way.

Yes I think that's an excellent idea :D

You could add a pinch of porridge oats to the mix as well, to keep him going.

Good luck xx

Happy to announce ... He did take his meds that were hidden to banana! It seemed like he didn't even realize there was anything in it, just wanted more :p He did poo lots of small droppings when I was sleeping, now he did almost regular size droppings :love:

Happy to announce ... He did take his meds that were hidden to banana! It seemed like he didn't even realize there was anything in it, just wanted more :p He did poo lots of small droppings when I was sleeping, now he did almost regular size droppings :love:

Well done Puttu :D

Back