• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

Gerbiley

New Kit
Hello :wave:
I'm Nikki from Plymouth and I have 4 lovely bunnies (all rescues) Bart, Buttercup, Busta, and Clover as well as a menagerie of other animals. I occasionally foster rabbits if I have room :)
Thanks
Nikki :bunny:

Hi Nikki and welcome :wave:

Ooooo sunny Portsmouth, is that the place that also get call Pompei? Can never remember. Been there once and took a boat trip around the battle ships and went to see the Mary Rose. It's nice down there, bit windy though but then I'm used to that living in a coastal fishing town!

You sound like you've got your hands full too, can we see pics of all the furries? Please

Thanks for the warm welcome :D
These are my rabbits-
Bart and Buttercup- they are a neutered male and female, and have free range run of the garden all day everyday.
BB.jpg

Here's Busta, its hard to get a good photo of him, he always looks grumpy but he's very sweet really :)
Busta.jpg

This is Busta's new lady friend Clover, they are both happily settled together and live at my other house, eventually (when their new shelter finally arrives!) they will be moving in to the section of the garden that my chickens live in as they all get along fine together and will have a lot more room to roam about in.
Clover.jpg

Your rabbits are lovely! I take it they don't eat the houseplants then?

We used to have a couple of runner ducks in the garden where the rabbits are but we had to rehome them as their poop attracted too many flies (we had to wash down the patio at least three times a day!), we were scared that the rabbits would get flystrike. Doesn't matter how clean the rabbits and hutches/runs are, they can still be affected and I didn't want to take the risk :( . I've had to treat two buns with flystrike, one died and the other is still with us. You can see pics of the ducks and the remaining flystrike bun on my website at www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Gerbiley said:
they will be moving in to the section of the garden that my chickens live in as they all get along fine together and will have a lot more room to roam about in.

Your rabbits are darling:)

But I looked into keeping rabbits and chickens together a few months ago and discovered that it is not the best idea as birds carry a bacteria that can infect rabbits, and also in some places baytril is added to chicken feed which can lead to resistant bacteria that could not be treated if your rabbit got ill.

I was very disappointed as I wanted to rescue three chickens, but I felt it best not to risk the rabbits health.

Hello and welcome. That piccie of Bart and Buttercup is brilliant, wish my lot wuold do something interesting like that lol.

Angela

Thanks, they are all lovely bunnies and know it!
Your rabbits are lovely! I take it they don't eat the houseplants then?
Lol, Bart lived inside when I first got him however we have a LOT of houseplants and they (Bart lived with his sister before buttercup until his sister died :( )were eating and destroying too many so moved outside. They still eat and destroy the garden plants so they are fenced off until they become established and it does not matter so much, their favourites tend to be palms and bamboos :lol:

I've done a lot of research into keeping Busta and Clover with the hens, they will have a massive area 28' x 18' and I am having a shelter/hutch built with a cat flap in it to prevent the chickens being able to get into where the rabbits will sleep, they are fed on organic corn anyway so no risk of antibiotic feed either.
I've actually just rescued a mallard duck that is living in the garden with Bart and Buttercup, she spends most of her time in the koi pond so we are looking out for a friend for her, the poo has yet to be a problem because the garden is pretty big and the rabbits don't get near the pond

bunnyhuggger said:
Hi Nikki and welcome :wave:

Ooooo sunny Portsmouth, is that the place that also get call Pompei? Can never remember. Been there once and took a boat trip around the battle ships and went to see the Mary Rose. It's nice down there, bit windy though but then I'm used to that living in a coastal fishing town!

You sound like you've got your hands full too, can we see pics of all the furries? Please

Sorry, had you relocated and you didn't even feel a thing did you! Totally disregard that first part of the message, I just noticed you said Plymouth not Portsmouth, doh! *thinks: I should really try to pay attention*

Sorry, had you relocated and you didn't even feel a thing did you! Totally disregard that first part of the message, I just noticed you said Plymouth not Portsmouth, doh! *thinks: I should really try to pay attention*
:lol: Its ok, I was a little confused by it :lol:

Back