• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and Rabbits?

Lucy118

New Kit
Has any one ever had any problems with cats attacking their rabbits?

This seems to be the most common excuse given to why people won't let their rabbits out. But i have never had any problems with cats.

quite the opposit my 2 cats will sit next to the rabbits in the sun quite happily. In fact before i got the rabbits their was a very agressive tom cat that was terroriseing mine. It got so bad we had to stand in the garden with rex so he could go to the toliet he was so scared he would not go out side on his own.

when i got the rabbits thou this all changed it took 1 run in with lola to ensure that this cat never returned again.

I no that small breeds and babys are vunrable but in my experiance a fully grown rabbit can take care of its self when it comes to cats.

I know some cats bring their owners home wild rabbits they have caught as 'presents'. So I would definately say there is a possible risk, easpecially if cats other than your own frequent the garden.

I think the other problem with running lose in a garden are alot aren't easy to bunny proof. It doesn't take much for a bunny to dig under a fence or squeeze through a gap.

There is also the problem of foxes even in urban areas.

I have both a cat and a rabbit and wouldn't leave the two unsupervised, as she is particularly fond of small furries and many years ago caught my hamster. My bun has a secure run for exersise and isn't particularly worried by the cats that come through the garden, he seems to think it quite entertaining. Given a chance I think some buns would quite happily attack a cat but like wise some cats would attack a bun.

Baring in mind the two are natural preditor/prey I think caution is important.

Tamsin

I think my cats see them more as hopping cats then pray. my little girle cat is very wary of them and avoids contact with them. The only time i see any chaseing is at bed time when the rabbits get put to bed in there shed. Rex seems to think that its a game a will some times chase the rabbits. but he chases them in the same way he plays with his sister and never gets nasty. I am very luck thou with the garden its very sercure with acess only from the house and brick walls all round.

but with the rabbits that i have it would be very crule to keep them in runs. Lola hates to be confined and likes to be able to explore where ever she wants to. If you do put her in a run she will either find a way out of throw a wobbly.

While im sure cats would love to take out a rabbit i don't think many could they more likly to bring home tiny mice or like mine worms then be brave anoth to take on a rabbit that could seriously harm them.

sorry im off on one its just i really hate the tiny runs that many people keep there rabbits in the smallest enclose that i have is about 10 foot buy 10 foot and this is where my baby lop lives.

but i think she needs a man any advise of how long i should leave it to intruduce one. would it be better to do this as soon as so she will be less territoral or should i leave her a while. Shes only been with me a week!!!

cats and rabbits

Hi
I have two cats that were both farm cats. My tom cat always used to bring me wild rabbits when I lived in the country side.
Since I started the rescue and started having bunnies around he hasn't bothered with them or the guineas which are reguarly in open topped runs.
Having said that I wouldn't leave him unattened with the guineas, I think that he feels that the rabbits are their for his entertainment.

When i go to visit my parents i take simba, my rabbit with me. My parents have 2 cats, a little girl cat and a older tomcat. Simba is a houserabbit so runs around in my parents house as well as the occassional run around in the garden while im there. THe girl cat runs a mile from my bunny...however the tomcat finds bunny very entertaining. He wants to play with him, will hide behind things and then pounce on him, altho bunny is faster than him! He doesnt use claws but sometimes he will smack bunny on his nose or head. Bunny goes back for more so cant hurt. I wouldnt leave them unattended but they seem to enjoy chasing each other.
Chris

I've got two house Cats and two house Rabbit's. They get on like a house on fire. They play with each other.

Thou I back Tam's comment. Never leave them unsupervised together as there is still that predator/prey instinct there somewhere.

Louise

There are a lot of cats around here, and it is impossible to keep them out of the garden as they are quite capable of jumping the ten foot fence into the rabbit runs, or over the 5 foot gate into the main garden and then over the gate into the rabbit area. But I have found that they are unwilling to confront curious rabbits who are aware that the territory belongs to them. It is amusing to watch a cat try to maintain its dignity as it backs slowly away from a pair of rabbits who want to know who the intruder is. That said these are fairly good sized rabbits, much bigger than wild rabbits (I don't let Thistle my Netherland Dwarf out because of cats) and the cats are well fed house cats. I also chase the cats out if I see them. I worry more about the guineas and the cats, and would not let the guineas out if the rabbits were not there to protect them (Guard Rabbits!!). The cats walk around the outside fence and peer in through the chainlink as they are fascinated by the guineas but the rabbits do lots of stomping and would make stalking and catching the guineas very tricky. And given the choice I know the piggies would opt for their life of freedom with a small risk rather than be locked up.

my kitten was terrified of the buns when she first met them and a little scared of the hins. The chinnies came up ti her and they now play a little....chins are behind wire and they were known for teasinf the pup when she was younger! Tilly the Kitten now goes and sits quite happily with the rabbits and they are beginning to play so rabbits and cats do get on. I was worried about the numerous ctas around here but the vets told me that bunnies can look after themselves quite easily when it comes to cats.
How do you put photos on this?

hi,
most of the cats r scared of our bunnies but there is one and it took one out of a litter and it was only 8 weeks old oh how i h8 that cat :evil: and if i get my hands on it well i dont need to say no more
becky

Hi Becky,

Welcome to the forum!! Its nice to have a breeder among us to get your views/opinons etc.

What you have to remember with Cat's is that they are the Predator and the Rabbit's are there Prey.

It may not be nice but this is what Cat's do.

You cant get angry with that Cat for doing something that's a natural instinct to it.

Louise

My cat Bobby is quite scared of Dandi! It's funny really, because when I go and see Dandi, my cat comes along too, because I think, he wants the attention, but when Dandi, my rabbit comes hopping down into her run, Bobby runs off! I bet his cat friends think he's a bit of a whimp poor thing! :lol:

Hi Lucy,

Re: your earlier question about getting your bun a man. Is she neutered? If not then DON'T get her an unneutered male as they will breed from about 4 months of age on. There are other good reasons for neutering a female as well such as preventing uterine cancer; in fact it's best to neuter both sexes as it prevents problems with aggression when they hit sexual maturity. But please, leave the breeding to the breeders who know what they're doing!

Bonding 2 rabbits can take time and is not always easy, I know there are people on here who have done it successfully and can give you more advice. Alternatively if you get a 2nd bun from a rescue centre, many will be happy to give advice and even help you bond them.

I've lost an adult netherland dwarf to a neighbours cat. It had only been in the garden 10mins along with a dwarf lop and a dutch, when I had the neighbour banging on the door requesting that I come and collect my rabbits body from her kitchen floor as she wasn't going to touch it!!!

Her cat had, in that short time managed to catch it, kill it, drag it over 2 6ft fences and in through her cat flap, so yes, cats are very dangerous for rabbits and I now never leave a rabbit out loose unless I'm in the garden with it even for a few minutes. I'm fortunate in that I have a large shed, 10ft x 20ft which is used just for the rabbits so I can let them have a run in there in safety, and in all weathers.

Yvonne

Back