• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a wild or an escaped pet rabbit?

I've noticed this rabbit in my vegetable patch over the past few days. I originally assumed it was a wild rabbit but now i am concerned that it might be an escaped pet because it doesn't appear too wary and i'm able to get up fairly close to it within a couple of metres. I thought wild rabbits were much more cautious. Any ideas?

The image will not display

oh no poor thing! I know nothing about rabbits. It has been eating our kale and other vegetables but I'm worried because it's getting colder and cats sometimes pass through our garden. I don't think i will be able to catch it although i'm able to get within a couple metres. What should i do?

oh no poor thing! I know nothing about rabbits. It has been eating our kale and other vegetables but I'm worried because it's getting colder and cats sometimes pass through our garden. I don't think i will be able to catch it although i'm able to get within a couple metres. What should i do?

The only thing I can suggest is to try to catch bunny and get it to a vets to scan for a microchip.
If you really don't want to try catching it, I'd post flyers around the neighbourhood, at vets etc saying rabbit found (not caught), owner to contact XXX on 07XXXXXXXX . Photographic evidence of ownership needed before being given location of rabbit

You could ask your local council or Cats Protection if you can borrow a humane trap and bait it with his favourite veggies that he's been borrowing and stand back and wait. Then get him in to your local vet to get him checked for a microchip.

The only thing I can suggest is to try to catch bunny and get it to a vets to scan for a microchip.
If you really don't want to try catching it, I'd post flyers around the neighbourhood, at vets etc saying rabbit found (not caught), owner to contact XXX on 07XXXXXXXX . Photographic evidence of ownership needed before being given location of rabbit

I agree with this ^^^

You could try sitting on the ground and let the bun come over to you, as you said you got within 2 metres of it. Failing that then borrow a humane trap as suggested. I found a pet bun dumped in my allotment once and he was quite tame I just sat down until he came over for nose strokes. Then I could pick him up and put him in a pet carrier.

A rescue might be able to provide a cat trap, which is like a wire cage that has a trigger inside to close the door. The RSPCA or similar would be a good place to try.

You could also try your own, if it's fairly friendly and hungry then a cat carrier or similar box which something particularly tasty inside, then a long string to pull the door close may work. If you've got a secure corner you can also try use a piece of mesh or net to confine it to a smaller space to make catching easier - they are quick and can jump well though.

You could also call local vets as people often report missing pets to them.

Back