• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobo - dirty bum

Fellie

Warren Veteran
It was Bobo's turn at the vets for vaccinations and nail clip - he was useful self - grunting, trying to bite Mark - in general being an absolute little sod :love:

I feel so guilty though - even though Mark understood - Bobo has got poo caked around his bum:oops::oops::oops:. He is so hairy and furry - and we can't even stroke him without getting bitten never mind check his bum.

So he has to go in next week and sedated and they will give him a good clean up and hair cut around there so he can get too his cecals. Mark was lovely and said that Bobo is a very difficult rabbit being the size he is and the fight he puts up when handled and we really shouldn't blame ourselves...but of course we do. His bum has always been clean on vet visits before so we just kind of took it for granted that it would remain clean.

Now I am going to be worried sick about fly strike until he is sorted - thank god he is a house rabbit and never goes out - but we do still get the odd fly or two in the house. Just have to be extra vigilant. And also I feel sick with relief that he hasn't had fly strike - yet (touch wood/fingers crossed)! That was just sheer luck - okay, maybe combined with keeping their pens very clean too but still - just lucky.

Definitely not your fault, but I understand the feeling!
Do you have fly paper? You can also get window stickers to catch flies. Hopefully with the cooler weather there won't be as many around xx

Ah I still love Bobo, even though he sounds a right pickle!

Have you put rearguard on him anyway. I asked Mark to apply it again to Doughnut when she was vaccinated.

Ah I still love Bobo, even though he sounds a right pickle!

Have you put rearguard on him anyway. I asked Mark to apply it again to Doughnut when she was vaccinated.

Oh we do absolutely adore the little toe-rag - just from afar :lol:

I will ask them to apply Rearguard when he has had his clean up - he wouldn't have tolerated it this morning. Thankfully hubby is home most of the day and he's pretty good at fly swatting.

Do you find that he leave excess caecals? If so, that might be an indication that he may be getting a dirty bum. Just a suggestion.

Do you find that he leave excess caecals? If so, that might be an indication that he may be getting a dirty bum. Just a suggestion.

No - no excess caecals that we've seen - and I do keep a very close eye out for those - but my other buns do the odd one every now and then (maybe every 3 to 4 months if that). So I think it may have been one of these odd caecals that gotten smeared into his fur - it didn't stink though.

He does also have a habit of peeing and pooping at the same time in one particular spot when he comes out for free range - maybe its a wet poop (soaked from wee) that got smeared into his fur.

Not sure how - but we will keep a much closer eye on him going forward - we do check the other bun bums by wiping a baby wipe under their tails whilst they are absorbed eating a specially tasty treat - haven't had any success with Bobo and that method yet but will just have to keep trying.

Whenever I see Mark for vaccines, I always ask for a pedicure and bikini line for Doughnut :) When she was on metoclopramide her poops were really sticky so it's better to shave her fluffy bum. I still find it better now since sometimes she does mixed poops which get stuck. The zantac doesn't seem to make her as sticky thankfully.

Back