• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heavy heart. :(

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
My dear little Frankie has settled in quite well, however he does seem rather sad and lonely. At the previous house at least he could see and smell other bunnies nearby, here he only has me, the piggies and Penfold. I sense that he would like to have another hunbun and so I have almost reached the difficult decision to re-home him. I daren't push my luck by having another bunny here as much as I would like him to stay, I have to be sensible.:(:(

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to have another bunny to bond with Frankie. It would make you happy if he were happier. I think you would be very sad if you re-homed him but you know best and I know you did talk about re-homing him a little while ago.

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to have another bunny to bond with Frankie. It would make you happy if he were happier. I think you would be very sad if you re-homed him but you know best and I know you did talk about re-homing him a little while ago.

A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed my letting agents about keeping Frankie...indoors, explaining that he is a very clean and tidy bunny. I haven't had a reply so for now Frankie, weather permitting goes outside to play in the day and then spends the evening and night time in a space I have created specially for him on the lounge. Come the colder weather he has to be either indoors or outdoors not both as we know, especially when there are bigger indoor and outdoor temperature differences in the months to come. I want what I best for him......and seeing him unhappy makes me unhappy too.

A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed my letting agents about keeping Frankie...indoors, explaining that he is a very clean and tidy bunny. I haven't had a reply so for now Frankie, weather permitting goes outside to play in the day and then spends the evening and night time in a space I have created specially for him on the lounge. Come the colder weather he has to be either indoors or outdoors not both as we know, especially when there are bigger indoor and outdoor temperature differences in the months to come. I want what I best for him......and seeing him unhappy makes me unhappy too.

Of course it makes you unhappy - we hate you see our pets miserable. What I meant was that an outdoor hutch/run for two wouldn't take up any more space than the same just for Frankie and he would have somebun to snuggle up to. As I said, though, it is entirely up to you to do what you consider best - for both of you. I certainly agree with you about the change of temperature not being good.

Babsie has covered everything I would have said xx
I think if you did bond him, then living outside would be a better situation for him and possibly yourself in terms of letting agreements.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Di I really don't think you should rehome Frankie. He has an amazing amount of space outdoors and if you find him a wife there is plenty of room for both of them to stay outdoors permanently. You have all those spare hutches from boarding - really spacious and large - and you have the run you could attach to one of those. You have a big enough garden to set this up.

I can't see your landlord objecting to another bunny to live outside. I know Frankie likes being inside but I think he would adapt to being an outdoor bun if he had company 24/7. If we can find a time when I'm not working and you are around I am happy to come and help you set something up for him permanently outside and happy to come and help you bond too - or to bring them both here and I can bond them for you in totally neutral surroundings.

I really think you would regret it if you rehomed Frankie. He is so happy with you and I am sure if he had the choice he would prefer to live outside with a wife rather than be rehomed.

Assuming you have permission to keep him outside already, if I was you, I would get another rabbit to bond with him.

If you did rehome him, ask yourself what would another person be able to offer him that you can't?

Of course it is up to you, but I feel that Frankie is better off with you, and you are better off with Frankie xx

As Frankie is at least 6 it wouldn't be easy to rehome him as not many folk want to take on older bunnies. If he went to a Rescue he could end up there for the rest of his life.

If you haven't had a reply yet, it isn't a 'no' yet :D

I would get back in touch with the Agents before making a decision to rehome. They may well agree to him being indoors :)

Did I remember you saying you have a garage? if it's no to living in the house maybe the garage would be another option?

I think that what Karen said makes perfect sense - and her offer to help is very kind.

Thank you. Having met Frankie and had a cuddle and seen how happy he is and what a lovely garden Di has I really think he would be better bonded and staying with her, even if that means him living outside.

Unless the agents come round on a regular basis to inspect the premises, they are not going to know that he's indoors, are they???

If you get another bunny Frankie will have a much nicer life outside as he'll have warmth from the other bun and 24/7 company too. Six year old buns are almost impossible to rehome.

For your own sake and Frankies - don't rehome him - PLEASE??? You've both had enough upheaval for the time being...it's time to do something positive which benefits both of you. I would try and get permission again - and go from there.

I've read and re-read all the posts, and the idea of my dear little Frankie being in a rescue waiting to find a new home has deeply upset me. Him and his little teddy as his main comfort, not knowing what has happened to him and why. Hopefully a friend who lives nearby can visit this weekend and we will try to work out some outdoor accommodation for him in readiness for a when Frankie finds a new friend. Fortunately Frankie has never shown any real aggression to any other bunnies, he is a very accepting little fella and I am sure he will be very happy to have a new hunbun asap. Now I need to find a SMALL little hunbun..... Delilah was wonderful but at over 8kgs, a handful in more ways than one.

Rhianna, your offer of help is wonderful ...thank you.

You've all helped me see sense at a time when I have had so much change to deal with, I cannot think straight some days. Thank you. xxxxx

Last edited:
I've read and re-read all the posts, and the idea of my dear little Frankie being in a rescue waiting to find a new home has deeply upset me. Him and his little teddy as his main comfort, not knowing what has happened to him and why. Hopefully a friend who lives nearby can visit this weekend and we will try to work out some outdoor accommodation for him in readiness for a when Frankie finds a new friend. Fortunately Frankie has never shown any real aggression to any other bunnies, he is a very accepting little fella and I am sure he will be very happy to have a new hunbun asap. Now I need to find a SMALL little hunbun..... Delilah was wonderful but at over 8kgs, a handful in more ways than one.

You've all helped me see sense at a time when I have had so much change to deal with, I cannot think straight some days. Thank you. xxxxx

Oh dear, has your landlord definitely turned him down as a house rabbit then? :(

That's a relief. I was going to offer to have him myself as I really took to him but I don't want to take on any more buns until my finances are better. They are heading in the right direction, but I still need to be careful with money.

Hopefully, you will be able to find a suitable wife for him. I'm happy to help out with a bunny run if you find one nearer to me than you.j

xxx

Sorry if I upset you Mrs B by saying he might spend the rest of his days in a Rescue. Are you thinking ahead when you might have to move again? I can understand that, but you are allowed pets in some social housing places.

Back