• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Bubbles thumping

Dem

Young Bun
Hi All,

Just after your thoughts on why Bubbles is thumping so much as specific times? Should i be concerned and is there anything i can do to help him if hes distressed?

Now Bubbles is in the house permanently i can hear him thumping a lot. He's always been a stroppy young man that thumped but i'm getting to know his routine now. Its very obvious at about 3:30am, it'll wake me and i'll go down, he doesn't seem stressed or anything, i give him a cuddle and he settles. Its then really bad about 5:30-6:00am. I go down to see him and this time he is begging for breakfast (despite having masses of hay in there) once i give him a small amount of pellets and scissor cut grass or carrot tops he settles down. He does the same about 7pm (dinner time).

We have no other pets in the house, its quiet where he is, i cant think her feels threatened. So could this be a way of getting attention for a cuddle or even that he wants his meals?

Thanks
D

Well he has an indoor house which is 4 metres long and about 75 cm deep, it has 3 levels (ground plus 2) he runs around out of it all day, we don't restrict him in the day but he does get enclosed at night so his 3:30am and breakfast thumping does coincide with him being in his house but the evening thumping he can be doing anywhere, in the living room, kitchen, hall or upstairs etc.

I'm thinking that for over night that is plenty of space and with free run of the house in the day i cant think he doesn't have enough exercise. Do you think he has sufficient space over night?

As babsie has suggested, it could be due to being confined.

It also sounds as if he's using it as a way to get his food as he thumps and you go down and give him treats/breakfast etc. It sounds as if you've inadvertently reinforced his thumping by giving him food after he's done it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think I agree with daphnephoebe about reinforcement.

Also, if he hasn't got a partner, that may help him chill a bit! Distract him from wanting you and food so much.

I know rabbits also thump when angry and not just scared.

He sounds such a character :love:

Hi, not sure if this helps at all but my bunny Bailey is competly free range at my bungalow. However when he came to Wales with me and stayed in my bedroom. Around 4am he would start thumping every morning we stayed. Now I thought it might have been the birds and different noises. But my curtains there are very light... And my dad believed it was when the sun was starting to come up, (due to him not being used to it as we have black out blinds and curtains at our house) He would very oddly thump about 3 times in a row, I would wake up, give him a cuddle and his pellets and he'd settle again until 7ish.

Then as soon as we got back home, he was back fine! Very odd little bunny! Lol! Xx

He is a seriously determined young man and is playing me by the sounds of things. Oops he thumps and I come running hahaha. He is a really character i never knew a rabbit could be quite such a part of the family. Last night he decided he was having hubby's sofa and gradually wriggled himself into position so that hubby had to get off to let the rabbit stretch out haha.

It sounds like a girlfriend is going to be a good solution. :lol:

Back