• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Sick baby bunny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkfur

Warren Scout
Hello all you lovely bunny friends,

I had to pop into a pet store today - something I never do - to buy fish food, because we are going away on our holiday on Monday, and I realised we are running low on it. I have seen two baby bunnies in the pet store - the usual pet store way: in a glass tank (grrrr).. One of the bunnies was clearly sick - the area around the eyes were red/pink. :( I almost told the owners about it, wanted to ask them to help the little thing, but then I stopped, because I instantly thought they might just "get rid of the little one" because inconvenience. We know how these places work. So I decided to help out some other way...

I KNOW how we all feel about pet shops, I know if we help this little one, there will be a new one taking his/her place. But I think we can't just ignore an innocent baby bunny in need of help :( Please, tell me I am not wrong. We have our own bunny boy, who is getting a bit old, he never liked other buns, although we sure tried bonding him with our lovely girl Daisy.. who is not with us anymore. So, we desperately want to do something!

The pet store is in Molesey, Surrey, it has a terrible reputation, the owners clearly don't care about animals... as is the case with so many others as well.
Please, is there anyone out there who thinks like us and wants to help? I am happy to sponsor the little critter, if there was someone helping her/him. :( I am desperate, I don't know how to help if it is not this way...

Hello all you lovely bunny friends,

I had to pop into a pet store today - something I never do - to buy fish food, because we are going away on our holiday on Monday, and I realised we are running low on it. I have seen two baby bunnies in the pet store - the usual pet store way: in a glass tank (grrrr).. One of the bunnies was clearly sick - the area around the eyes were red/pink. :( I almost told the owners about it, wanted to ask them to help the little thing, but then I stopped, because I instantly thought they might just "get rid of the little one" because inconvenience. We know how these places work. So I decided to help out some other way...

I KNOW how we all feel about pet shops, I know if we help this little one, there will be a new one taking his/her place. But I think we can't just ignore an innocent baby bunny in need of help :( Please, tell me I am not wrong. We have our own bunny boy, who is getting a bit old, he never liked other buns, although we sure tried bonding him with our lovely girl Daisy.. who is not with us anymore. So, we desperately want to do something!

The pet store is in Molesey, Surrey, it has a terrible reputation, the owners clearly don't care about animals... as is the case with so many others as well.
Please, is there anyone out there who thinks like us and wants to help? I am happy to sponsor the little critter, if there was someone helping her/him. :( I am desperate, I don't know how to help if it is not this way...

I replied over in 'Health' :)

I know EXACTLY the place you mean and I have reported them to both the local Council and the RSPCA on numerous occasions. I cannot tell you not to buy the ill Rabbit, I would be a hypocrite to do so. But do consider the welfare of the Rabbit you already have. Can you safely quarantine a sick Rabbit and carry out total barrier nursing care ?

Is your current Rabbit vaccinated against Myxomatosis, RHD1 AND RHD2 (Filavac) ? If not I would not take the huge risk of buying the baby Rabbit. If you use the Vet in Park Road they are clueless about RHD2........................

If you could go back into the shop and try to obtain a photo of the sick Rabbit then you could use it to re-inforce another report to Elmbrige Council Environmental Health Department (who issue the licence to sell animals) and to the RSPCA. The RSPCA wont take a Report about a Pet Shop unless the local Council has already been informed.

Realistically and with my 'sensible hat' on the best thing to do would be to Report the Pet Shop. I know it is hard to walk away once we have actually seen sick Pet Shop Rabbit. I have failed to do so on more than one occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back