• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations - first one done

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I thought long and hard about posting this because of fear of the comments but decided to be brave and honest.

My bunnies aren't vaccinated. They used to be - when I had 11 the vet came to me to do them all as it was easier. I worked three jobs so I could afford it but then burnt out and had physical problems as well as mental health issues. My income reduced dramatically and my bank froze my personal loan and put my accounts to 'recovery' as my outgoings were considerably more than my income. I had a huge vet bill for Cherry and Hovis - £2500 - which I am still paying back at £10 a month.

I now only have three rabbits - I have not adopted any for a long time because of my finances - and I have cleared my credit card, reduced my overdraft, got my car through the MOT (I can't get to work without the car due to the shifts I do) and now bunny vaccinations are top of my priority list.

I have changed vets due to continually getting 'voicemail' on the emergency number when Cherry broke her leg and have emailed my new veterinary surgery a couple of months ago to ask about vaccinations but received no reply. I have been on their website and it looks like they are just offering the VHD and Myxo jabs but I want to get mine covered for the new VHD as well.

Given that mine are not vaccinated so need to start from scratch rather than be having a booster what do I need to ask for? And do I have to get myxo done first and then the old VHD and then the new one?

I have tried to read up on it but the articles I have found are assuming that bunnies are due their boosters, not that they are not vaccinated at all - or haven't been for some time.

PLEASE don't have a go at me. I know I have been irresponsible and am trying to put it right now but need to know the best thing to do so they are fully covered.

Last edited:
I thought long and hard about posting this because of fear of the comments but decided to be brave and honest.

My bunnies aren't vaccinated. They used to be - when I had 11 the vet came to me to do them all as it was easier. I worked three jobs so I could afford it but then burnt out and had physical problems as well as mental health issues. My income reduced dramatically and my bank froze my personal loan and put my accounts to 'recovery' as my outgoings were considerably more than my income. I had a huge vet bill for Cherry and Hovis - £2500 - which I am still paying back at £10 a month.

I now only have three rabbits - I have not adopted any for a long time because of my finances - and I have cleared my credit card, reduced my overdraft, got my car through the MOT (I can't get to work without the car due to the shifts I do) and now bunny vaccinations are top of my priority list.

I have changed vets due to continually getting 'voicemail' on the emergency number when Cherry broke her leg and have emailed my new veterinary surgery a couple of months ago to ask about vaccinations but received no reply. I have been on their website and it looks like they are just offering the VHD and Myxo jabs but I want to get mine covered for the new VHD as well.

Given that mine are not vaccinated so need to start from scratch rather than be having a booster what do I need to ask for? And do I have to get myxo done first and then the old VHD and then the new one?

I have tried to read up on it but the articles I have found are assuming that bunnies are due their boosters, not that they are not vaccinated at all - or haven't been for some time.

PLEASE don't have a go at me. I know I have been irresponsible and am trying to put it right now but need to know the best thing to do so they are fully covered.

Rhianna, I wouldn't *dream* of having a go at you!!:D

Regarding the vaccinations, I would have the novibac myxo done first (that's myxo and vhd1) and then three weeks (or however long) later have the vhd2 done :thumb:

You had a monster of a time with your buns. To mention nothing of your personal circumstances and your health. I think you're very brave to post here and you didn't have to :D

You are lovely and kind, and I hope you can get it sorted. But please don't stress yourself or feel under undue pressure :love:

Rhianna, I wouldn't *dream* of having a go at you!!:D

Regarding the vaccinations, I would have the novibac myxo done first (that's myxo and vhd1) and then three weeks (or however long) later have the vhd2 done :thumb:

You had a monster of a time with your buns. To mention nothing of your personal circumstances and your health. I think you're very brave to post here and you didn't have to :D

You are lovely and kind, and I hope you can get it sorted. But please don't stress yourself or feel under undue pressure :love:

I knew someone from RU would be able to advise me on the best way to get my buns the vaccination cover they need. I was getting really confused reading around the subject and want to make sure I don't get it wrong through ignorance. I was hoping my vet would have something about it on their website but they don't mention VHD2 at all:(

I will go into the surgery next week at one of their 'quieter' times and book the appointment. If I 'phone I'll end up speaking to a receptionist whereas if I turn up there and the receptionist can't answer my questions they are more likely to find a vet for me to talk to.

Not sure how to transport three buns to the vet as none of my carriers are big enough for three (and I couldn't carry them all in one anyway) and if I do a two and a one, one bun will be left out. They need their nails cutting as well. Am seeing a friend later today and will see if he can help me take them as he is retired and has plenty of time.

Thank you for not being judgemental :oops:

Firstly I'd ascertain if your Vet stocks the RHD2 Vaccine (Filavac). Not all Vets are doing so, sadly. If they do not have the vaccine in stock they could contact NVS :

http://www.vetwholesaler.co.uk/

This may be useful to read too :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RVHD2.pdf.

FHB's website is down at the moment but I think you have already seen the FAQ Re RHD2 page on there

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Article-From-Frances-Harcourt-Brown-s-Website

If your Vet does have Filavac in then I would have that done first, it covers for RHD1 too and onset of immunity is 7 days. You could then have the Nobivac vaccine done. The RWAF recommend leaving 2 weeks between the vaccines :)

Thank you both. I will print these off to take to the vet. Just going to visit a friend for a coffee and to find out if he is OK about helping me transport the trio. Fortunately, my new vet has a carpark by the surgery. The old one only had two spaces so I often had to park in a nearby street and walk - not easy with one bunny, let alone three.

Welcome back Rhianna, Lovely to see you're back. I hope you're going to stay around with us all. Good luck with the vaccinations xxxx

I knew someone from RU would be able to advise me on the best way to get my buns the vaccination cover they need. I was getting really confused reading around the subject and want to make sure I don't get it wrong through ignorance. I was hoping my vet would have something about it on their website but they don't mention VHD2 at all:(

I will go into the surgery next week at one of their 'quieter' times and book the appointment. If I 'phone I'll end up speaking to a receptionist whereas if I turn up there and the receptionist can't answer my questions they are more likely to find a vet for me to talk to.

Not sure how to transport three buns to the vet as none of my carriers are big enough for three (and I couldn't carry them all in one anyway) and if I do a two and a one, one bun will be left out. They need their nails cutting as well. Am seeing a friend later today and will see if he can help me take them as he is retired and has plenty of time.

Thank you for not being judgemental :oops:

Oh Rhianna, bless you :love:

The reason I suggested having the Novibac Myxo first is that vets have that in stock :thumb: It's much easier to get that done and then query them on the spot about the other. Saves messing around with talking with receptionists or even vet nurses ... (if my own surgery is anything to go by :lol:)

Oh Rhianna, bless you :love:

The reason I suggested having the Novibac Myxo first is that vets have that in stock :thumb: It's much easier to get that done and then query them on the spot about the other. Saves messing around with talking with receptionists or even vet nurses ... (if my own surgery is anything to go by :lol:)

Makes sense. Thank you. xxx

*hugs* you're too sweet to judge or to have a go at :)
I go with what MM has suggested. Starting with the nobivac combination vaccine, then at the appointment query them on RHD2 vaccine, if they do stock it, or are planning on getting it in you can book the appointment for 3 weeks later.
If they're not getting it, you have three weeks to track a vets that do stock it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My friend is happy to help me with carrying the bunnies so I'll make an appointment on Monday and get the first jab done as soon as I can get in. Hopefully I can then get the buns back into having regular boosters. It's a good opportunity to get their nails done too - I struggle on my own.

They have a health club for £4.99 a month per bun which covers vaccinations, worming, flea treatment and nail cutting but there is no mention of the RHD2 vaccine at all.

My friend is happy to help me with carrying the bunnies so I'll make an appointment on Monday and get the first jab done as soon as I can get in. Hopefully I can then get the buns back into having regular boosters. It's a good opportunity to get their nails done too - I struggle on my own.

They have a health club for £4.99 a month per bun which covers vaccinations, worming, flea treatment and nail cutting but there is no mention of the RHD2 vaccine at all.

I'm glad you have help :D Bunnies do get extraordinarily heavy in their carriers ..... I find them difficult to manage!

I'm glad you have help :D Bunnies do get extraordinarily heavy in their carriers ..... I find them difficult to manage!

I managed to take a fridge freezer to the tip on my own - with great difficulty - but I have arthritis of my neck and shoulders so carrying heavy carriers is difficult and I am terrified of dropping the buns. My left hand often loses grip - I have a lot of chipped and mis-matching crockery - and dropping a bunny would be far more worrying that breaking mugs and plates. My friend has helped me with the buns before and feeds them for me when I stay with Amanda and when I went to Di's so they know him.

I had a meeting after my night shift which meant me driving past the vets so I went in to ask about vaccinations. There was a gorgeous cocker spaniel puppy in there and I had licks and cuddles which made my morning :love:

The surgery has a waiting list for the new vaccine as they have to do 20 bunnies at a time. I thought it best to have the myxo and vhd one done first as that is available and have booked my three in for Thursday. It's £49 per bunny. Does that sound about right? It seems a lot to me, but I guess that's why I had to stop having my 11 done - three is far more manageable financially. I was going to get one done per month but decided that was unfair as how would I choose which one to do first? The second vaccination will come after I've been paid again thankfully.

I don't know exactly when they can have the second vaccination. I asked if it that was OK - there doesn't have to be a set period between the two vaccinations and was told it didn't matter but it was a receptionist I spoke to so I just want to check with the wise ones of RU if that's OK?

Will be very relieved when they have all had their vaccinations and will have them done annually from now on - or is it six monthly?

£49 seems a lot. It's always been around £30 - £35 at all the vets I've visited.

It's best to wait 3 weeks between vaccines, but my girls have a 5 months gap between theirs.

The combination vaccine is yearly, and the VHD2 vaccine is yearly or 6 monthly depending on if you're in a high risk area or not.

£49 seems a lot. It's always been around £30 - £35 at all the vets I've visited.

It's best to wait 3 weeks between vaccines, but my girls have a 5 months gap between theirs.

The combination vaccine is yearly, and the VHD2 vaccine is yearly or 6 monthly depending on if you're in a high risk area or not.

I must admit it was more than I was expecting. I might pop into a vet I can walk to and see how much they charge and if they are doing the VHD 2 as well.

I had a meeting after my night shift which meant me driving past the vets so I went in to ask about vaccinations. There was a gorgeous cocker spaniel puppy in there and I had licks and cuddles which made my morning :love:

The surgery has a waiting list for the new vaccine as they have to do 20 bunnies at a time. I thought it best to have the myxo and vhd one done first as that is available and have booked my three in for Thursday. It's £49 per bunny. Does that sound about right? It seems a lot to me, but I guess that's why I had to stop having my 11 done - three is far more manageable financially. I was going to get one done per month but decided that was unfair as how would I choose which one to do first? The second vaccination will come after I've been paid again thankfully.

I don't know exactly when they can have the second vaccination. I asked if it that was OK - there doesn't have to be a set period between the two vaccinations and was told it didn't matter but it was a receptionist I spoke to so I just want to check with the wise ones of RU if that's OK?

Will be very relieved when they have all had their vaccinations and will have them done annually from now on - or is it six monthly?

Rhianna, that's amazingly too much in my book :shock:

I should call around vets and see what they can offer you. That's what I did, as my own vet was charging more than I could realistically afford for multiple rabbits :)

Is the £49 the cost of the Combi Vac or the RHD2 Vac ?

It sounds like your idea to have the Myxo/Vhd1 done first is the best idea :thumb:

They can have the second vaccination three weeks later, as that's the time it takes to achieve full immunity :D

Mine are starting their first vaccinations and the vet said they can have the combi vac and the new VHD vac about 2/3 weeks apart. £49 seems really expensive, my vet charges £25 for the combi and £25 for the VHD2. I rang around 12 different vets and most were familiar with the vaccine, about half either had the new VHD vaccine or had it on order so you may be able to get some better prices. I wanted the combi done first but apparently there's a manufacturing problem at the moment so I had to have Filavac first, but I didn't realise Filavac covers both VHD strains so whichever you go for it will cover two different types/strains of disease :)

Last edited:
The £49 is for the ordinary vaccine - the one for myxo and vhd. I forgot to ask how much the vhd2 one would be. I'll pop into another vets tomorrow and have a chat with them.

Back