• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twiddling hay instead of eating it!?

elaine84

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and is it a sign of needing a dental?
Billy had his first dental not long ago under GA and once he'd recovered he was eating lots of hay. He's never been a big hay eater so it was great to see him enjoying it for once! The past week he's not eating as much hay - if any (I'm not sure if I miss when he eats it) but he just twiddles hay for ages without it going further into his mouth. He snips it off and leaves it. He's eating everything else and is active like normal. I haven't changed his food or given more pellets or anything. Really hoping he doesn't need another dental they scare me so much and he takes ages to recover! (He's a rescue bun so not sure on age but I've had him 6 years).

I would get his checked out to be sure. Refusal to eat certain things often signals the need for a dental.

Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and is it a sign of needing a dental?
Billy had his first dental not long ago under GA and once he'd recovered he was eating lots of hay. He's never been a big hay eater so it was great to see him enjoying it for once! The past week he's not eating as much hay - if any (I'm not sure if I miss when he eats it) but he just twiddles hay for ages without it going further into his mouth. He snips it off and leaves it. He's eating everything else and is active like normal. I haven't changed his food or given more pellets or anything. Really hoping he doesn't need another dental they scare me so much and he takes ages to recover! (He's a rescue bun so not sure on age but I've had him 6 years).

Hi Elaine :wave:

Have you tried Billy on fresh grass or readigrass? If he can manage those, he should be able to manage hay :)

Hi MightyMax, you remember Billy from his stasis trouble cos of his teeth a few months ago! There's only one type of hay that he'll eat but that's the one he's twiddling, he doesn't really eat grass or readigrass (I know so fussy!) He's still eating pellets, leafy greens, dried plantain that looks like hay, and some bits of the Vetcare digestive health hay sticks which are mixed with other things.

Last edited:
Hi MightyMax, you remember Billy from his stasis trouble cos of his teeth a few months ago! There's only one type of hay that he'll eat but that's the one he's twiddling, he doesn't really eat grass or readigrass (I know so fussy!) He's still eating pellets, leafy greens, dried plantain that looks like hay, and some bits of the Vetcare digestive health hay sticks which are mixed with other things.

... and his teeth are looking OK? :wave:

Some bunnies don't eat hay, ever. They either don't want to or more likely find it difficult. It's kind of good to know whether he's able to or not. Then you won't wonder if it's his teeth :D

... and his teeth are looking OK? :wave:

Some bunnies don't eat hay, ever. They either don't want to or more likely find it difficult. It's kind of good to know whether he's able to or not. Then you won't wonder if it's his teeth :D

He's super fussy all the time with hay but I've found he'll eat Burns Green Oat Hay. This week he's just been twiddling it though but tonight he has just eaten some! Made me so happy! Keeping the vet appointment tomorrow so they can check his teeth and give him the VHD2 vaccine they've just got in. It's the one that you receive in two goes. Hope it doesn't affect him badly.

He's super fussy all the time with hay but I've found he'll eat Burns Green Oat Hay. This week he's just been twiddling it though but tonight he has just eaten some! Made me so happy! Keeping the vet appointment tomorrow so they can check his teeth and give him the VHD2 vaccine they've just got in. It's the one that you receive in two goes. Hope it doesn't affect him badly.

That's a good idea to get the vet to check his teeth at the same time :D

Yes I hope the vaccination doesn't affect him badly too.

If you feel like it, do post on this thread - it's good to have reactions, etc. Also the fact that your vaccine seems to be a two part one, which I haven't heard of being given since the beginning of the year :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-16th-Sept-2016

Oh also if some bunnies never eat hay how do they keep their teeth trim?

If he eats the green oat hay, then his teeth should be fine to eat all other sorts of hay and grass.

As for bunnies never eating hay, I usually give fresh grass mixed in with forage, and that usually helps the teeth to wear down :D

Oh also if some bunnies never eat hay how do they keep their teeth trim?

If they have access to grazing all day every day then their teeth would wear down. But if a Rabbit has any sort of malocclusion no amount of hay/grass etc will prevent the crowns of the teeth becoming too long and spurs developing. Have you had a feel along his mandible for any odd lumps and bumps ? Is he drooling at all ? Are his eyes a bit watery, especially during/after eating ? Is he maintaining his weight ?

Personally I would pop him back to the Vet to get him checked over again :)

Hey thanks for the replies :)
Well I went to the vet this morning and Billy had a couple of tiny spurs starting. The vet did a (conscious) rasping of the teeth as only a few strokes of the file were needed. Just got back home and straight away Billy is eating hay! Without me wafting it in his face :D
He didn't have any of the normal signs of needing a dental that you mentioned JacksJane, but I'll remember now that when he twiddles hay (looks like he's waving a wand around casting spells) that it means he has a tooth issue! Hope that helps other people too who may see their rabbits doing it.

Glad that Billy is eating hay again. Phew.

Is that him in your avatar? So cuute. More pics of him would be lovely.

Hey thanks for the replies :)
Well I went to the vet this morning and Billy had a couple of tiny spurs starting. The vet did a (conscious) rasping of the teeth as only a few strokes of the file were needed. Just got back home and straight away Billy is eating hay! Without me wafting it in his face :D
He didn't have any of the normal signs of needing a dental that you mentioned JacksJane, but I'll remember now that when he twiddles hay (looks like he's waving a wand around casting spells) that it means he has a tooth issue! Hope that helps other people too who may see their rabbits doing it.

I'm glad you got it sorted! Yes, I wondered with that behaviour whether it was teeth - great news.

It's also good to have a vet who can do a dental like that on a conscious rabbit, as it saves all the time, expense and recovery time for the rabbit :thumb:

Back