• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay vibes for little bella

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Little bella went for her spay today, everything went well and she is back home with us! :love:

She had about 20ml of oxbow about 4pm, and even though I've got plenty of metacam and Zantac to give her later, she just isn't keen on anything. When honey was spayed, although sleepy she did happily munch on herbs. But little bella isn't interested in anything. I know it's still early yet.. But wondering how long I should give her before trying more oxbow?!

So honestly any spare eating vibes would be really appreciated! Xx

Hi everyone,

Little bella went for her spay today, everything went well and she is back home with us! :love:

She had about 20ml of oxbow about 4pm, and even though I've got plenty of metacam and Zantac to give her later, she just isn't keen on anything. When honey was spayed, although sleepy she did happily munch on herbs. But little bella isn't interested in anything. I know it's still early yet.. But wondering how long I should give her before trying more oxbow?!

So honestly any spare eating vibes would be really appreciated! Xx

Aww poor Bella!

It varies a lot from rabbit to rabbit as to how soon they recover and eat Ruth. I have known after a spay that a doe will take around three days to eat on her own, and it's perfectly fine if you syringe feed.

I would syringe every four hours - would it stress her out to do it that often? 20ml is a good amount - well done :D

Thanks so much mighty max, and wow didn't realise it can take that long! Maybe I was just really lucky with honey then.

Well she feels quite cold to touch so I've wrapped a blanket up for her to cuddle into and sent the other half in the garage to find the heat pad.. But on the plus side she has already passed poo which is great bless her!

I've just given her meds for the evening and she was good as gold so I'll leave her in peace for the next hour then might try and syringe her again if she hasn't touched anything xx

MM covered it all :)
My girls were completely different after their spays.

Daphne was pretty much a baby and needed syringe feeding for the first evening but seemed to be nibbling the next day. She didn't start eating properly until 4 days after.
Phoebe on the other hand needed one or two sessions of syringe feeding until she was eating normally on her own.

Thanks so much mighty max, and wow didn't realise it can take that long! Maybe I was just really lucky with honey then.

Well she feels quite cold to touch so I've wrapped a blanket up for her to cuddle into and sent the other half in the garage to find the heat pad.. But on the plus side she has already passed poo which is great bless her!

I've just given her meds for the evening and she was good as gold so I'll leave her in peace for the next hour then might try and syringe her again if she hasn't touched anything xx

Yes warmth is crucial and you're right to think of the heat pad.

I put my little girl on one of those permanently heated electric pads. They don't overheat and are superb for all sorts of conditions.

Good luck with your little one :D

Sending lots of recovery vibes for Bella. Grass usually is the first thing to be eaten after a spay, if it's possible to pick some. They normally don't want their pellets until tomorrow.

Thanks so much everyone, she has passed another 7 poops, which are large and have a golden tindge bless her!!

She has dill, parsley, coriander, basil, brocoli, bit of kale and carrot! dried plantain, oat redigrass and a fenugreek crunchie. So she has plenty of variety. Unfortunately the other half has cut the lawn so no grass but might go for a walk first thing and pick some fresh!

I'm pleased to say she has eaten one piece of dill, but at least it's something. I'm going to stay up until 11 and if still nothing else, then we'll give her some oxbow.

Thank so much everyone xx

Thanks so much everyone, she has passed another 7 poops, which are large and have a golden tindge bless her!!

She has dill, parsley, coriander, basil, brocoli, bit of kale and carrot! dried plantain, oat redigrass and a fenugreek crunchie. So she has plenty of variety. Unfortunately the other half has cut the lawn so no grass but might go for a walk first thing and pick some fresh!

I'm pleased to say she has eaten one piece of dill, but at least it's something. I'm going to stay up until 11 and if still nothing else, then we'll give her some oxbow.

Thank so much everyone xx

Sending vibes Ruth :) Try not to stress yourself, I'm sure she will be OK xx

I hope Bella is doing well today. I found all mine like brambles when they are feeling under par.

Thanks so much everyone and sorry for not coming back sooner. Been to the bank to sort out all my bank statements for my displinary next week!

Anyways little bella is doing okay, last night she did eat some herbs, not loads but was a good handful which I was so pleased about. She has also passed some very very smelly and slightly loose poo but guessing it's from the anastetic?

This Morning she was tooth grinding so had her metacam slightly earlier, and since hasn't eaten anything again, so she's had about 8ml of oxbow this morning. I've also managed to pick some grass which in the last 10 mins, she has been munching on. so I'm going to leave her in peace for a while and see how she goes.

Thanks so much for asking though and I'm sure she'll continue to improve, it's just after everything with honey and harvey, I'm so over protective and a complete worrier xxx

Hi Jo, thanks so much!

Well she's had all fresh herbs, hay, treats, more grass since lunchtime and she hasn't touched anything! :(

She's just had her meds again, and only managed to get about 7/8ml of oxbow in her again, as she's spitting it out. Which I know must be a good sign but the little tinker is really worrying me - she's gone cold again too even though she has the heat pad! Plus her poo is really tiny, soft and stuck together like ceotrophes

I'm going to keep an eye on her, and try again with the oxbow before bed but if she's still like this tomorrow, I'm going to take her back in. I've also been naughty and given her an extra 0.05ml of metacam to see it that helps! My poor little girl! Xx

Her appetite won't be back to normal yet - you said she was munching on some grass so she has that in her tummy. Hope by tomorrow you see better signs that she is returning to normal.

Oh no, poor Bella :( She sounds exactly how Scrappy was when she had her spay. It's a really anxious time waiting for them to start eating and Scrappy fought me with the syringe too!

The only thing I can suggest is to keep trying to tempt her with fresh foods as that seems to be what they prefer when they're poorly. I know it's a "naughty" food but I offered Scrappy some small bits of apple and that was the first thing she wanted to eat. Then I grated it so it became a puree and rubbed it over other foods and she gradually started to eat more for herself.

Also, her poos were quite runny as well. I think that was the combination of the fruit, meds and not enough fibre so my vet gave me a tube of fibreplex to give her which helped a lot.

Sending lots of extra vibes for her and hugs for you too xxx

Back