• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations done!

Charlie and Echo have had their RHD2 vaccinations this morning. The trip in was a bit stressful, with all the traffic. As they're new buns, I felt every bump in the road and felt so guilty when we got there. The injections went well and we got home and it stopped raining, so they had a really good run in the garde and then had their breakfast. I don't think they hold it against me. I don't know how they've managed to worm their way into my heart, so soon.

Glad they have had the jabs done : )) Sounds like they were very brave little bunnies, extra treats for them tonight!!

It's truly amazing how quickly you can fall in love with a little bunny :love:

Echo is still nervous, but she spends more time watching me and not running away in a panic. She's lovely. She still shows the whites of her eyes a little bit but she's relaxing now when I'm about. Charlie seems to like everyone. The vet, Lucy, checked them over and said they're a perfect weight. I think it's all the extra exercise they're getting, running around in the garden. The rspca were trying hard to get Charlie's weight down. They do a wonderful job in the Rabbitry.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Charlie and Echo have had their RHD2 vaccinations this morning. The trip in was a bit stressful, with all the traffic. As they're new buns, I felt every bump in the road and felt so guilty when we got there. The injections went well and we got home and it stopped raining, so they had a really good run in the garde and then had their breakfast. I don't think they hold it against me. I don't know how they've managed to worm their way into my heart, so soon.

Good job done there, Fb :thumb:

Echo is still nervous, but she spends more time watching me and not running away in a panic. She's lovely. She still shows the whites of her eyes a little bit but she's relaxing now when I'm about. Charlie seems to like everyone. The vet, Lucy, checked them over and said they're a perfect weight. I think it's all the extra exercise they're getting, running around in the garden. The rspca were trying hard to get Charlie's weight down. They do a wonderful job in the Rabbitry.

They sound to be settling in well. I am sure you feel relieved to have their RHD2 Vaccines done. I was very relieved when mine were done, the fact that one of mine cannot be vaccinated is a constant worry x

I've just had Peter and Trixie's done this morning. I feel so relieved, I've been trying to organise it all summer but first they ran out of stock really quickly and then we were away and then their annual booster for the other vaccine was due. Glad to have it finally sorted :) The bunnies are sulking at the moment but I'm sure they'll come round when I give them fresh hay! I hope your new bunnies continue to settle in well :)

Thank you everyone. There only seems to have been one confirmed outbreak of RHD2 over here, so far, thank goodness. Although, I haven't seen any wild rabbits around. I hope it's not a bad omen. My vets have said none of their clients have had it, but better to be safe than sorry. Our vets are charging just over £23 inclusive of vat, per injection.

Thank you everyone. There only seems to have been one confirmed outbreak of RHD2 over here, so far, thank goodness. Although, I haven't seen any wild rabbits around. I hope it's not a bad omen. My vets have said none of their clients have had it, but better to be safe than sorry. Our vets are charging just over £23 inclusive of vat, per injection.

One case is one too many :cry: I suspect the wildies have been wiped out by it :cry: The colony that lived on Equestrian land quite near me have all gone :cry:

I feel like given that some people won't realise it's RHD2 that may have infected their bunnies, some won't know where to report it to, and other rabbits may have better immunity and survive, the reported cases are just the tip of the iceberg really. Mine are house rabbits but I feel much better knowing I've done all I can to protect them.

That's a good price :)

So I guess if your vet doesn't rate your area as high risk you won't be advised to have it done every six months?

Vet Lucy recommended annually, but she did say some vets are recommending every six months. Some years ago they used to recommend the vhd1 six monthly, until it went in with the myxi, where they now recommend annually. It's a bit of a minefield.

Vet Lucy recommended annually, but she did say some vets are recommending every six months. Some years ago they used to recommend the vhd1 six monthly, until it went in with the myxi, where they now recommend annually. It's a bit of a minefield.

Yes it is really.

I guess at the end of the day all we can do is use our common sense :)

Just have to hope it warrants enough interest and publicity. No - one seems interested in the lack of wildies. Poor little devils.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crikey, that's cheap! I don't know why but our vets are charging literally double that, per injection :shock:. Why it differs per vet practice when it's exactly the same flipping vaccine I have no idea! It's not right and it's not fair! :evil:

Crikey, that's cheap! I don't know why but our vets are charging literally double that, per injection :shock:. Why it differs per vet practice when it's exactly the same flipping vaccine I have no idea! It's not right and it's not fair! :evil:

Yes my vet was charging almost £40, but I found a lovely reputable rabbit savvy place that only charged £25 per rabbit :D

Back