• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I do love metacam

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Last night at 10pm I went to give the buns their bed time Fenugreek - and of course that is the best time to be in stasis - thanks Holly Wally Booby :love:

She had all the typical signs - not interested in food and very clearly in pain (not sure if it's just I know my buns very well- but to me they do show when they're in pain).

We would normally rush straight off to vets - but last night we thought we would try metacam first - at least then she wouldn't be in pain and then see how she was in an hour. I had fed her at 8pm and she was eating hay at 9pm so it had obviously only just started.

Sure enough - after one hour, she nibbled at some plantain and by mid-night was happily scoffing her hay again :D

I have done this before with Bug with similar results - within 2 hours of metacam, the buns were back to normal.

I am keeping an eye on her today - and so far she is fine.

I am such a firm believer in taking away the pain - this reduces so much stress in an animal and without that, the animal can get on with healing and getting better.

I would like add though - in both Bug and Holly stasis instances I knew it had only just started. If however I woke up in the morning or came back from work and found them like that - then it's straight off to the vets as I wouldn't know how much time had passed and probably more hard core meds would be needed to get guts working again - and obviously fluids would probably be needed as well.

Me too. I always give Metacam, Infacol (or Gripe Water) and liquid Zantac at the first signs of tummy ache. That usually does the trick within a couple of hours. If it doesn't then it's straight off to the vets.

I always give metacam and ranitidine when my rabbits stop eating. They're both fairly stasis prone so I know their usual signs. Not having to go to the vets at stupid times of the night has saved me so much money overall and saved the rabbits a good amount of stress.

Back