• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC and Metacam

Hi everyone.
Blossom bunny is 5yrs and is on day 4 of a 28 day wormer. We're used to this with her as she always has a spell of this every year. We only worm when she's showing signs but it really is every year. Usually by day 4 she's brighter and moving better but this time she's still very wobbly but eating ok etc although not eating her usual amount. She's on metacam, emiprid too along with her Panacur (liquid) wormer. I'm also giving her critical care too just to be on the safe side.
Yesterday was a good day as she really stuffed her face with masses of grass so I thought we'd turned a corner but this morning she looked really misserable and only nibbled her piece of apple but when she'd had her meds she perked up massively and started to stuff her little face again. I know EC can be painful but I'm wondering if she's in much more pain than we think. I know how good they are at hiding pain. Is there a stronger pain killer I can ask the vet for or should I give her another couple of days to see how she goes?

Hi everyone.
Blossom bunny is 5yrs and is on day 4 of a 28 day wormer. We're used to this with her as she always has a spell of this every year. We only worm when she's showing signs but it really is every year. Usually by day 4 she's brighter and moving better but this time she's still very wobbly but eating ok etc although not eating her usual amount. She's on metacam, emiprid too along with her Panacur (liquid) wormer. I'm also giving her critical care too just to be on the safe side.
Yesterday was a good day as she really stuffed her face with masses of grass so I thought we'd turned a corner but this morning she looked really misserable and only nibbled her piece of apple but when she'd had her meds she perked up massively and started to stuff her little face again. I know EC can be painful but I'm wondering if she's in much more pain than we think. I know how good they are at hiding pain. Is there a stronger pain killer I can ask the vet for or should I give her another couple of days to see how she goes?

Regarding the pain killer, it really depends on the source of the pain and how it's affecting her. You don't say how the EC is actually giving her pain?

I have used Metacam alongside Panacur to combat *inflammation*. This means that any inflammatory response caused by the EC will be negated to a large extent - particularly lesions within the brain. However, another pain killer than is not a NSAID will not have the same anti inflammatory properties.

What does the vet give the pain killer for? x

It may be worth talking to your vet to see if you can change the dose of metacam to see if it helps. There is quite a large dosage range for rabbits - including splitting it into 2 doses. It will depend on a lot of things - particularly the reason why it was prescribed in the first place.

Treatment for EC does seem to have a lot of ups and downs. I would suggest that it is still early days for this course of treatment and that another week or two would give you a better indication of whether it is being effective.

There may also be something else going on that hasn't been diagnosed yet.

I would talk to your vet, monitor her weight at least weekly, and keep an eye on her output.

Thanks guys, the vet prescribed Metacam for the inflammatory use and I'm sure it's making a difference as shes noticeably better after her medication. She hasn't got a head tilt but oh gosh she's wobbly. Vet said she may need a blood test to see if there's anything else going on due to her age and as her brother died of severe kidney failure the vets and me keep a close eye on her but the vet was happy to try the worming first as she is a 'wobbly' bunny and worming in the past has always helped. I'm going to get a vet appointment for later today just to get her checked out :thumb:

Back