• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moult and maintaining condition

countrybumkin

Warren Scout
My bunnies (since being an adult) have always been kept as indoor bunnies in a spare bedroom dubbed 'the bunny room'. At the start of the summer I moved poppy out into a grand converted shed and she has then been bonded with her now husbun oreo. They are both lionheads and extremely hairy! I have never really had a full moult from poppy as she has been kept at a pretty constant temperature inside. They are now starting quite an impressive moult, there is hair every where! The corners of the shed seem to be collecting most of it and it's piles every day! Oreo in particular is getting quite a patchy coat with short and long sections.

So my question is do I need to do anything special to maintain their condition?

They get a groom over every evening already. They have unlimited hay obviously. They have pellets on a morning and they get a mixture of fresh green's with a small piece of fruit every evening as well as a few treats through the day. Do I need to do anything extra to keep them in shape?

I do also have another bun who is also outside in her own set up (she's a youngster who will be bonded once she's spayed). She has much shorter hair and doesn't seem to be moulting as much.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi there! Some Lionheads do moult lots but I have never done anything special, just make sure they eat a lot of hay to keep the digestive tract moving as they probably ingest quite a bit of fur. Moulting is a stressful time so try to keep them nice and peaceful and they should be fine.

My short hairs live inside and I swear, it's like living in a fur factory the amount of time I have to spend hoovering.

Just keep doing as you're doing, offering grooming every day, keep them eating hay and as tonibun said, try to keep stress levels down.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oreo in particular is looking so scruffy, he's got super long patches and really short patches! They're both very happy buns with loads of energy and I've never know poppy to have such big healthy poos since I bonded her with oreo even when she was with her previous husbuns. Hopefully they'll be looking neat and tidy again soon.

Oreo in particular is looking so scruffy, he's got super long patches and really short patches! They're both very happy buns with loads of energy and I've never know poppy to have such big healthy poos since I bonded her with oreo even when she was with her previous husbuns. Hopefully they'll be looking neat and tidy again soon.

Lionheads in heavy moult need a temporary increase of protein in their diet. You could do this by adding some Readigrass to their diet or mixing a few pellets made for Breeding/Growing Rabbits into their usual hard feed. An occasional Barley Ring is another option. As you know any new food needs to be introduced in small amounts and only one new food at a time. Once the moult is over then the extra protein will not be needed :)

They enjoy redigrass and get it as a occasional treat so they have have that while they're molting. I just want to keep them fit, well and in good condition! X

I make sure my rabbits have lots of access to different sorts of fibre whilst moulting. It helps to keep the hair moving through their system :wave:

I've been and bought a new bag of redigrass for them to enjoy. They are big hay eaters and get fresh green's every evening so hopefully they're getting enough fiber, their poos are so big, golden and crumbly at the minute so hopefully their bellies are in good enough shape to cope with it.

Back