• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soooooo.....

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
We're going to a rescue on Saturday with the hopes of bringing home a lady friend for Raggy. It's very exciting but I'm also full of nerves. I think I've already mentioned, but there are some baby angora bunnies that I've fallen in love with. I've been researching them as a breed for a while (for pretty much selfish reasons) as I feel I have a need to have physical contact, when I was looking after my in-laws dogs I loved grooming them, it really calmed me down and was so therapeutic.

On a separate note, whilst I have been doing as much research as I can, does anyone know of any websites or good sources that are just for people having angoras just as pets, rather than keeping them to show or for fibre? I see the 'wool' as an added bonus but I don't intend on making the wool grow out just because it looks pretty. Almost all of the websites I come across are for people grooming for shows or how to spin straight from the bunny.

I've also said to MrC that if when we get there that it is decided that we aren't the right fit for the babies then I still would like to adopt, I know that it's not so much about what I want or what I need but more about what the bunnies need.

Another funny one. We're going to be travelling on the train, obviously we're going to take a carrier with us but I'm toying with the idea of taking the 'bunny stroller' (yes, I'm one of those ones :lol: ). I can fit one of the normal carriers in the pram, just in case we need to fold it up on the train, the reason I have the pram is because I have a dodgy wrist and have to carry both Raggy and Poppy wasn't viable. So I think we're going to get some funny looks traveling there with an empty carrier in a pram :lol:

Finally, any ideas on what type of angora these babies might be? I don't think they have the mum any more. Not that the breed is important, I'm just curious :)

13599850_1137229056299730_3069284970889521324_n.jpg

Good luck for Saturday, there's bound to be nerves and excitement too.

I don't know anything about angoras really, other than they will require a lot of grooming!

Normally at a rescue you reserve a rabbit subject to homecheck, so you may not be able to bring your chosen rabbit home the same day, unless you've already had a home check?

Exciting! Angoras are the last rabbit I would want as am not a hands-on person. The worry I would have is would all the fur be detrimental to Ragnar if he were to groom her. I reslly don't know if this is a problem or not, just me wondering.

Whilst absolutely beautiful, Angora's are hard work grooming wise especially as a lot of buns actually do not like being groomed (well - mine don't :D). The bun in the picture does look more lion head to me but I could be wrong.

An easier rabbit to keep would be a lion head I think - they still need grooming but not to such a great extent.

I've put a link to a Facebook Site about 2 Angoras Wally and Molly. Their owner clips their fur down very short which I think is so much more comfortable than leaving it full and having to groom every day. You could contact them and ask them about the pros and cons on keeping Angoras.

https://www.facebook.com/wallyandmolly/?fref=ts

Exciting! Angoras are the last rabbit I would want as am not a hands-on person. The worry I would have is would all the fur be detrimental to Ragnar if he were to groom her. I reslly don't know if this is a problem or not, just me wondering.

Good luck with your visit to the rescue on Saturday.

I must admit this isn't an issue that occured to me about Angoras, but having had tummy problems with my Rex rabbits, when they ingest too much of each others fur, it's something I would seriously think about.

Thank you all so much for your advice. They are all things I have thought of but then just let the idea of a new bunny over-ride, it's really helpful to get others points of view in black and white!

IF I get one of the babies, then the plan will be to keep the fur short mainly because of the issue of wool block. For me it's really not about aesthetics or being able to use the fur, if it is usable then awesome, if not then it will go out for the birds as nesting material.

I will be having a serious chat with the rescue person, I've started writing down questions to take with me. I just need to remember that they might say one of the babies wouldn't be right for us.

I asked about home checks and I think seeing photos of the house and of Ragnar was enough, it's exactly what happened with Ragnar too. But whether or not we get to take a rabbit home on Saturday is unknown, but we'll see :)

Thanks again everyone, I hope to have some good news on Saturday :)

Good luck :) As you know Buffy is an Angora type bun, super cute, but yes lots of grooming. I hadn't thought about the fact that the boys groom her now and the wool block issue, so thanks to everyone who mentioned it! x

That cute baby looks more like a lionhead than an angora, but double maned lionheads need grooming every few days if they aren't to get tangled up. They don't need clipping though, as the fur on their bodies is very soft and thick but not long in the same way an angora is. If they are lionheads you would still be able to satisfy your need to be close and groom them.

I love long-haired bunnies and brush my current lionhead Stakki every day.

Here's a cute little video of a 12 week old English angora. The ears are very well furbished, with tufts at the end, and their ears are about twice the length of a pure bred lionhead. Adult angoras are also much bigger than the average lionhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8shGcy8-aSU

Last edited:
The photo I posted must have been when they were much younger, here is one of her on Saturday :) I've been told that she is a French & English angora mix? She's had a good brush and trimmed her up a bit, she was full of straw and hay with a few mats. She's been binkying about and seems really happy :)

14322617_310113012689539_7980322455380087978_n.jpg

Well her mum was brought in as 'spayed'...She then had a 'miracle' litter of 5 kits...I know at least one other of the kits has been adopted, I posted in an angora group on facebook and someone asked which rescue I had gotten her from, she has one of her sisters :)

Back