• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming

lawz82

New Kit
Hi,
I have just got a beautiful little boy and he 8-10 weeks of age, what age does he have to be for me to use panacur? and what dosage, as i know my girl who weighs 2kgs gets 1 syringe graduation each day for 9 days

Hello there. We don't recommend worming rabbits unless there are definite signs of them needing to be wormed. We (most of us) believe it is unnecessary injestion of chemicals. Hope your new bunny settles in well.

well my girl needed it due to her having E cuniculi, so she gets 9 days every 3 months for a year, then every 6 months thereafter, and both have free range of whole garden at weekends weather permitting and when I'm home. so especially as all going well he will be going in with my girl i thought it best to treat him also, but wanted to confirm age he has to be first

well my girl needed it due to her having E cuniculi, so she gets 9 days every 3 months for a year, then every 6 months thereafter, and both have free range of whole garden at weekends weather permitting and when I'm home. so especially as all going well he will be going in with my girl i thought it best to treat him also, but wanted to confirm age he has to be first

I would speak with a Rabbit Savvy Vet about when to give give Panacur to your new Rabbit. Personally I would want to get the new Rabbit's vaccinations done first and I would not want to be giving a course of Panacur at the same time.

Are you going to wait until your Buck has been neutered before introducing him to your Doe ?

I'd call a rabbit savvy vet to find out about dosage, age etc just to be sure.
Personally I'd give panacur at the time of vaccination but that's because I've always seen this done and never seen any issues with doing so.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your advice :)
ok will do.
He's already vaccinated and microchipped. My girl is spayed already and have introduced them gradually and she won't leave him alone in terms of just wanting to be by him and he's the same with her, as his hormones haven't kicked in yet will continue just so they are familiar. will separate in time and then when he's done will keep separate for 4 to 6 wks till he settles and reintroduce gradually again

Thanks all for your advice :)
ok will do.
He's already vaccinated and microchipped. My girl is spayed already and have introduced them gradually and she won't leave him alone in terms of just wanting to be by him and he's the same with her, as his hormones haven't kicked in yet will continue just so they are familiar. will separate in time and then when he's done will keep separate for 4 to 6 wks till he settles and reintroduce gradually again
If she is spayed already I wouldn't separate when he comes to have his surgery. It'll save time, and the bond could be strengthened with the process.

She'll need to go with him to the vets on day of surgery, and she can stay with him during recovery.

:)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you, i did consider that, my main concern with them being together when his hormones do kick in would b A. if he annoys her and she has a go at him. B keeping them together post surgery and he tries his luck and does some damage.
She can be a bit temperamental and can run on a short fuse. She used to lunge at my hand grunting, but when she does that now i grunt back and thump the wood with my hand to mimic her and she backs off, over time she has stopped with me, but my dad however won't listen to me,lol

Keep an eye - if you can check every day for his 'bits' (they normally appear around 3/4 months) , as soon as you notice them get him booked in as this will help reduce his hormone surge.
She may tell him off once his hormones come in, if it appears to be affecting their bond I'd separate then, but often they'll cope fine.

Hi,
I have just got a beautiful little boy and he 8-10 weeks of age, what age does he have to be for me to use panacur? and what dosage, as i know my girl who weighs 2kgs gets 1 syringe graduation each day for 9 days

For all the details re dosage of Panacur etc, I would speak to your vet. Some vets advocate worming with 9 days worth of Panacur. Others prefer a 28 day course to deal with EC :D

Thank you, i did consider that, my main concern with them being together when his hormones do kick in would b A. if he annoys her and she has a go at him. B keeping them together post surgery and he tries his luck and does some damage.
She can be a bit temperamental and can run on a short fuse. She used to lunge at my hand grunting, but when she does that now i grunt back and thump the wood with my hand to mimic her and she backs off, over time she has stopped with me, but my dad however won't listen to me,lol

You'll have to start grunting and thumping at him too then ! :D

I agree, if there's lunging and grunting (and possibly some nippage!) then separate them :)

Thank you he's only 8/9 weeks at present so will keep an eye out.
They have a big tunnel in hutch where she lays in, and he squeezed in next to her and top and tailed, so she can be tolerant when it suits, she just gets grouchy with me at meds time for her and can take it out on him if he comes forward to investigate.

i always treat with panacure every 6 months as they are out in garden whenever possible, but as lulu had EC she has to have 9 days every 3 months for a year and then back to 6 months. She was on it for near 40 days just because she tested so high for it. Unfortunately she still has a slight tilt and gets dizzy when picked up so she's on travel sickness syrup which has worked wonders for her...shes just a grouchy diva with plenty of bunnytude!
my boy looks a lot like your pic, his ears are huge though. Theres wood across front of hutch about 6/7 inches high to keep wood chips in and when he moves around i just see his ears haha
what breed is your one?

i always treat with panacure every 6 months as they are out in garden whenever possible, but as lulu had EC she has to have 9 days every 3 months for a year and then back to 6 months. She was on it for near 40 days just because she tested so high for it. Unfortunately she still has a slight tilt and gets dizzy when picked up so she's on travel sickness syrup which has worked wonders for her...shes just a grouchy diva with plenty of bunnytude!
my boy looks a lot like your pic, his ears are huge though. Theres wood across front of hutch about 6/7 inches high to keep wood chips in and when he moves around i just see his ears haha
what breed is your one?

A Velveteen Lop which is not a recognised breed within the UK but it is in the USA. It is a cross between a Rex and an English Lop :)

what breed is your one?

Haha for just seeing the ears - I can just imagine that :D

Max - an English Spot or something :lol: He was a rescue so I don't really know! Fairly large and very loving :love:

good job he's not a lop or he'd be falling over them,lol.
Leo is very affectionate already and very inquisitive :)

he def has english spot in him, but thinking and kinda hoping he is but also isn't...a papillon, just judging by size of ears.

/Users/reception/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 13.58.24.png

Back