• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor play, outdoor rabbits?

popcorn77

New Kit
My 2 rabbits live outside in a shed. They have a run for the garden but its not massive as the garden is small. In the house I have a big dining room which is pretty rabbit proof and the rabbits like to come in and play there (also going up and down the stairs which is great exercise) I have rtead you shouldn't bring outdoor rabbits in especially in the winter due to temperature changes. Would it not be ok to bring them in for an hour or so as that's when they play and get more attention etc? It will be hard to exercise them in bad weather if I cant do this. Has anyone done this before and their rabbits are fine?

Bumping this up as haven't time to reply properly right now, but generally yes, it's generally not recommended to bring outdoor rabbits in for playtime in cold weather, as big temperature changes can make them unwell. If they are outside all the time they will adapt to cold temperatures, but if you bring them in for a while, they'll be really cold when you put them back out. Is their run attached to the shed, or separate?

In cold weather, bringing them inside to a warm environment can cause things such as respiratory tract infections and in some cases snuffles.
How big is their run and shed combined (provided they can access the run of their own accord)? It's recommended they have at least 60sqft for a pair of medium size rabbits.
You may be able to find a way to slightly increase their exercise areas (create different levels in the shed etc).
They'll adapt to the cold and you'll find they'll play in their runs etc it'll be you that'll need to wrap up warm to play with them outside.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've done this but be prepared to be cold, open all the windows and have no heating on at all, if you can't do this keep them outside as the change in temp will upset them as others have said. x

Back