• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet bum and urine stained feet (not sure if right section)

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Have been out to feed the buns this morning and noticed Sydney had a soaking wet bum, feet and tail. They are inside the shed, so is obviously urine.

He must have been sitting in wet hay or in the litter tray, but it's the first time it's happened. I've cleaned (with small animals wipes) and dried him off. Do I need to do anything else or is it just one of those things?

Also, is it normal for them to get urine stained feet (more noticeable on Buffy, being white) or am I failing them?

Thank you x

I would keep an eye on things,none of mine get wet sitting in the litter tray. If it happens again today I would be worried. Does the litter tray have hay in it?

No, you aren't failing them. I would be a little worried though. If this is a totally new thing with Sydney, I'd be thinking of popping him to the vet for a check. I appreciate he may have been sitting in the litter tray but, if so, it's fairly unlikely that he'd be soaked through. That means he may be having some difficulty with going to the toilet or something which could be for a whole variety of reasons. :)

My Bella gets stained feet. Her and Bertie have four litter trays between them, yet uses only one. And then she likes to sit there and contemplate the world.

o_O

The tray gets changed two or three times daily (depending on wether I'm at work) but it's clearly the favourite tray. Bertie hops in, does his business and hops out, so no stained paws. The other three trays remain untouched, silly buns :D

Is it possible he urinated on a solid surface and sat in the urine?
Phoebe has done this once before (the bunnies urinated on the slate tile on a hot day and stayed on it).
Never had the issue before.

Phoebe has dirty paws (all the time) she's indoors so not like she has much dirty things to get them messy on, she's just got really white paws so it shows up more.

Keep a close eye on him. If it happens again I'd call and book a check at the vets to put mind at rest. T

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My two have a habit of weeing on the bare just-newspaper bit, standing in it and then hopping off :roll: Aboleth has sat in her own wee multiple times and got her bumskirt completely soaked through a lovely red colour :evil:

But not all rabbits are idiots so keep an eye on it :)

Hi all,

Have been out to feed the buns this morning and noticed Sydney had a soaking wet bum, feet and tail. They are inside the shed, so is obviously urine.

He must have been sitting in wet hay or in the litter tray, but it's the first time it's happened. I've cleaned (with small animals wipes) and dried him off. Do I need to do anything else or is it just one of those things?

Also, is it normal for them to get urine stained feet (more noticeable on Buffy, being white) or am I failing them?

Thank you x

Stained feet is fine, it just happens :D

If rabbits get urine on themselves - underneath etc, they usually clean it off smartish, so I would keep an eye, and if it happens again get the vet to test his urine (this can be done in the surgery and the vet can express the bladder, so you don't need to get a sample to take in)

I hope it's nothing :wave:

Thanks everyone. Good to know the staining is normal, it just looks unsightly.

I'll keep a close eye on him to see if it happens again and take him to the vet if necessary, I didn't think about the possibility of a bladder issue as such. I do have another possible theory though as I've just moved all three into the run for the first time since bonding (it's not currently connected) and there are puddles of wee on the floor. So it's possible he has been sitting in it.

We had decided against covering the whole shed floor in hay as the space is so big (& they already get through so much) but obviously I can't have puddles everywhere. They don't seem to be bothering with the litter tray, just going everywhere. I have been putting hay in the tray and collecting up the poos to put in, but they ignore it x

Thanks everyone. Good to know the staining is normal, it just looks unsightly.

I'll keep a close eye on him to see if it happens again and take him to the vet if necessary, I didn't think about the possibility of a bladder issue as such. I do have another possible theory though as I've just moved all three into the run for the first time since bonding (it's not currently connected) and there are puddles of wee on the floor. So it's possible he has been sitting in it.

We had decided against covering the whole shed floor in hay as the space is so big (& they already get through so much) but obviously I can't have puddles everywhere. They don't seem to be bothering with the litter tray, just going everywhere. I have been putting hay in the tray and collecting up the poos to put in, but they ignore it x

Humph! It will settle down! But I can see that may well have been a reason. I was going to suggest that, but as most rabbits use a litter tray I didn't mention it.

Can you put a few more litter trays down, temporarily?

I do hope so :). Yeah Buffys always used a litter tray, but the boys have always gone everywhere! I do have some more. I'm going to give everywhere a good clean while they are in the run and I'll try that.

I really hope that's all it is and there isn't anything wrong with Sydney x

I do hope so :). Yeah Buffys always used a litter tray, but the boys have always gone everywhere! I do have some more. I'm going to give everywhere a good clean while they are in the run and I'll try that.

I really hope that's all it is and there isn't anything wrong with Sydney x

It sounds exactly as you suspected regarding the wee :)

Good luck with the litter training!!

It seems that was the issue as he's been fine since. They now have a litter tray in each corner, so fingers crossed they use them.

Btw thanks daphnephoebe, I missed that you suggested the same thing x

It seems that was the issue as he's been fine since. They now have a litter tray in each corner, so fingers crossed they use them.

Fingers crossed it works.

If they don't seem to work could you offer them a hooded litter tray? I know some rabbits prefer this.

And it's okay :) I make long posts so easy to miss

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks dp :) It's looking pretty good this morning, no puddles and wee in the trays. Still poos everywhere, but Rome wasn't built in a day lol :lol: x

Great!

It may be that discovering a potential problem has led you to a successful solution :D

I hope so! x

Back