• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dripping pee & won't eat

putsi

New Kit
I'm totally stressed out now. We got our bunny Puttu vaccinated wednesday for RHD2, friday he was lethargic and didn't want to eat. I wiggled pellets in front of his face to annoy him and he started to eat and was ok after 30mins. Saturday he was the same again, but after an hour he was ok.

BUT NOW; It's almost 5am, out of nowhere about 1am he refused food again, he ate by accident when I was offering him some pellets. His tummy feels normal, but he drips pee! He is obviously trying to pee, going to the litter box etc, but nothing won't come out, except those little drops. I was able to give him some water with syringe.

Is this some kind of urinary infection or..? Could this be caused by the vaccine?

Hi Putsi,
I see you are in Finland,
Welcome to the forum.
Poor Puttu,
Sounds like he's got a bladder stone. He needs to see a vet immediately, if it's a stone, then it's urgent.
It's 3 am here and I have to get some sleep now.
I hope you can get him sorted asap.
Sending healing vibes. xxx

Last edited:
Hi Putsi,
I see you are in Finland,
Welcome to the forum.
Poor Puttu,
Sounds like he's got a bladder stone. He needs to see a vet immediately, if it's a stone, then it's urgent.
It's 3 am here and I have to get some sleep now.
I hope you can get him sorted asap.
Sending healing vibes. xxx

Thanks for the welcoming :love:

I'm going to call to our vet in the morning, hopefully this is something else than a stone. :cry:

Poor Putsi. As FB says he does need to be seen by a Vet ASAP, it may be that he does not have a bladder stone, but that he does have bladder sludge and a UTI/Cystitis. This would obviously cause pain which would mean he would not want to eat.

I hope the Vet can help him to feel a lot better xx

Woah. 8am and he started to eat!!!!

About the dripping, it was 3 drops. Is it possible that those pee drops came out because he tried to poo? His tummy started to make those gurling noises when he started to eat. Now he did a binky! :love:

He has a history with tummy problems, last fall he was sick atleast twice a week until we found the perfect pellet for him. Couple of days ago I wrote that he hasn't been sick for 2-3 months, karma?!

Now I feel like an emotional wreck, no sleep for 24hours :lol: I'm going to give our vet a call at 9. All I have to say, this boy truly is a warrior.

Called the vet, she is fully booked today but will give us a call asap if someone cancels their appointment. If we're not able to get him to her today, she will check him tomorrow. Or we may try to find another vet who has any idea on what to do with buns.

Cleaned the litter box, and he went to pee, it didn't took any longer than usual, healthy looking, no dripping!

He ate his greens, some pellets and hay, went to the water bowl and flopped next to his partner in crime. :love:

I had the same and needed a bladder flush due to calcium build up. Need an xray and emergency vet ASAP

Called the vet, she is fully booked today but will give us a call asap if someone cancels their appointment. If we're not able to get him to her today, she will check him tomorrow. Or we may try to find another vet who has any idea on what to do with buns.

Cleaned the litter box, and he went to pee, it didn't took any longer than usual, healthy looking, no dripping!

He ate his greens, some pellets and hay, went to the water bowl and flopped next to his partner in crime. :love:

Oh my dear little Puttu!!

It sounds like he's on and off his food since the vaccination. I'm so sorry he's causing you all these worries ...

It sounds like the wee problem is resolved. But if it continues, I should pop him to the vet, as it could be a bacterial infection and would be causing him some pain.

Good luck :)

Oh my dear little Puttu!!

It sounds like he's on and off his food since the vaccination. I'm so sorry he's causing you all these worries ...

It sounds like the wee problem is resolved. But if it continues, I should pop him to the vet, as it could be a bacterial infection and would be causing him some pain.

Good luck :)

Hopefully there won't be anymore of these episodes! He's a little miracle, indeed it is stressful when he goes from happy bun to sad bun in no time. One thing came to my mind, he did have same little drops last year, during fur blockage/+- gas episode, vet then said there's nothing to worry about.

But sure, if it continues he is going to be seen by the vet. He's peeing just normal, pee looks still normal, he doesn't seem to be in pain, it comes out nicely. If he's doing good today, we won't get him to vet tomorrow. He's going to get neutered next week, so I don't want to stress him before that.

I'll keep an eye on him, he now gets extra amount of watered greens! :love:

Thank you all for your replies!

Back