• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shopes Papilloma?

christina83

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I'm a little concerned about my Runty boy.
He's 7years and 3months old and I think he has papilloma on his ear. I saw the vets last Monday as he went for his VHD2 vaccine along with his 3 brothers and mammy. I showed the vet his little horny thing on his ear and she agreed it looked like shopes. Thing is she said to see how it goes. But I'm panicking, I don't know what to do with him :s
He's been going through a bad moult the last few weeks which is taking forever and he's been a bit down about that I think, and then he was upset after having his vaccine. He was so nervous at the vets that his carrier box shook like mad. He's very spoiled and lives under my bed :) He's been brought up in my room since he was a baby. Only I can pick him up too. He was never neutered because of his bad nerves and I was scared he'd die under anesthetic because he's a tiny runty rabbit.
He's eating fine, begs for treats but doesn't like me lately because I brush him.
I just really don't know what to do with these horns :( I'm so worried about cancer :(

He's 7years and 3months old and I think he has papilloma on his ear. I saw the vets last Monday as he went for his VHD2 vaccine along with his 3 brothers and mammy. I showed the vet his little horny thing on his ear and she agreed it looked like shopes. Thing is she said to see how it goes. But I'm panicking, I don't know what to do with him :s
He's been going through a bad moult the last few weeks which is taking forever and he's been a bit down about that I think, and then he was upset after having his vaccine. He was so nervous at the vets that his carrier box shook like mad. He's very spoiled and lives under my bed :) He's been brought up in my room since he was a baby. Only I can pick him up too. He was never neutered because of his bad nerves and I was scared he'd die under anesthetic because he's a tiny runty rabbit.
He's eating fine, begs for treats but doesn't like me lately because I brush him.
I just really don't know what to do with these horns :( I'm so worried about cancer :(

Perhaps the Vet feels that the risk of a GA to remove the Papilloma is greater than 'watching and waiting'. Some papillomas can regress without treatment, they do not inevitable became malignant. It could be that it is a spontaneous non viral papilloma and these are totally harmless.

Do you trust your vet Christina?

If you do, and your vet felt the best thing was to watch and wait and see what happens, then I would take their advice and really try not to worry. I know you love him very much and want the best, but this could well be the best advice.

You could always seek a second opinion if you prefer?

Back