PDA

View Full Version : Mites?

anon101
12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Can you protect your buns against mites?

What do you use and how often do you use it?

Louise

Tamsin
12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
I think its only necessary to treat your rabbit for mites when there are symptoms of them. Thinks like scratching, bald patches and flaky skin. Ivermetin, which is given once a week for three weeks works great. Its available from your vet. You can also use shampoo, but trust me on this one you really don't want to try it!

Tam

Lazylops
13-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Tamsin has already sorted this one mostly, but there are also sprays and dusting powders you can use, as Tamsin has said, shampooing a bunny nearly always ends in disaster.

Holly Go-Lightly
16-08-2004, 10:32 PM
In the summer you can and should protect your buns against Fly-Strike. It's not mites, but it is flies laying their eggs on your bun, usually in the fur around their anus. The maggots hatch and try and feed on your rabbits flesh (inside and out). A truly horrible condition. Many buns not protected have to be put down if they don't get help in time.
You can buy "Spot-On" at Pet's at Home and Waitrose for 2.99 per tube. It's 1 tube per rabbit and it lasts around 8 weeks. It makes their fur greasy for about a day and then goes away.
Remember it's not just outside rabbits who can catch it. If you've ever had a fly in your house...

Tamsin
16-08-2004, 10:38 PM
For fly-strike prevention there is also Rear Guard which is only avilable from vets. Its about 10 a bottle but does more than one bunny. It prevents the fly eggs from developing into the harmful maggots.

Tam

bunnyhuggger
16-08-2004, 10:45 PM
You can buy "Spot-On" at Pet's at Home and Waitrose for 2.99 per tube. It's 1 tube per rabbit and it lasts around 8 weeks. It makes their fur greasy for about a day and then goes away.
Remember it's not just outside rabbits who can catch it. If you've ever had a fly in your house...

Is it specifically for rabbits though?

Rallybunny
17-08-2004, 08:29 AM

Is it specifically for rabbits though?

Yes, I've seen it at Sainsburys too.

Rexy bexy
17-08-2004, 02:11 PM
hi on all my rabbits i used some thing called ivomec it is a hourse
wormer and u only need a spot on the end of a cocktail stick snaped in 1/2 it works 8 and hair reapers in days is also protects them fro worms too and can get them throught that last bit of moult faster
becky

Lazylops
17-08-2004, 02:15 PM
there is also xenex spot-on available from your vet, although I do hear that some peoples rabbits have had a bad reaction to it. I have been using it for a number of years with no ill effects, so maybe a test use to ascertain any adverse reaction may be advisable prior to any use of a new product.