• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lexi has gone

Pablo2013

Warren Scout
So yesterday i woke up. Bunny run open no Lexi. After frantic searching i was reunited with her the corner shop. They had found her down the back alley! Now there is NO way my bunnies can escape 6 foot wall all way round, no soil all concrete. So something/someone has dragged her over the wall during the night. No fur gone, nothing out if place, no sign of a struggle!!!!! Anyway i picks up lexi who was overwhelmed to see me, slight watery eye but nothing untowards. A phone consultation with vet suggested she didnt need a cgeck up and the stress of trailing her to vets would do more harm than good. A full raging appitite, pooing, peeing, drinking ect checked her at midnight she looked back to normal hopping all over us, scoffing dandilions. So i put them extra blankets and bedding in there hutch and left them too it. This morning Lexi is dead!!!!!! Pablo is distraught! Hes pulling blankets around, stomping his feet, basically flipping. They have been bonded 4 years...i can only assume delayed shock got lexi or whoever took her over the wall came back and scared her to death (litrally). Of course we are all distraught but now what about Pablo? He obviously witnessned lexi pass away and i have left her with him for an hour or 2...Question is without sounding insensitive how soon should i try and get him a new wife? If he us alone i think he will die of lonliness x

Gosh I'm so sorry, how terrible :cry: Is there a gate into your back garden, which someone could have used to enter? It does seem very strange that if it was a predator, having gone to the trouble of dragging her over a 6 foot wall, the predator would not have taken her away. I also think there would have been signs of injury if this had happened.

I can only imagine, as you have suspected, that it was delayed shock which killed her. Poor Lexi :cry:

It is entirely up to you how soon you get a new partner for Pablo. It depends on how you feel and also how Pablo is coping with the situation.

Sending lots of hugs.

No our gate is inaccesaible. Padlocked from the inside and nothing was touched/out of place ect. Very strange there is no way...i dont know how it happened x

Maybe someone scaled the wall - 6' is not high to a young person. Anyway, I am very sorry you have lost her, was the hutch door open, if not maybe before you go and get another bunny, invest in a padlock. You don't want a repeat of this.

So yesterday i woke up. Bunny run open no Lexi. After frantic searching i was reunited with her the corner shop. They had found her down the back alley! Now there is NO way my bunnies can escape 6 foot wall all way round, no soil all concrete. So something/someone has dragged her over the wall during the night. No fur gone, nothing out if place, no sign of a struggle!!!!! Anyway i picks up lexi who was overwhelmed to see me, slight watery eye but nothing untowards. A phone consultation with vet suggested she didnt need a cgeck up and the stress of trailing her to vets would do more harm than good. A full raging appitite, pooing, peeing, drinking ect checked her at midnight she looked back to normal hopping all over us, scoffing dandilions. So i put them extra blankets and bedding in there hutch and left them too it. This morning Lexi is dead!!!!!! Pablo is distraught! Hes pulling blankets around, stomping his feet, basically flipping. They have been bonded 4 years...i can only assume delayed shock got lexi or whoever took her over the wall came back and scared her to death (litrally). Of course we are all distraught but now what about Pablo? He obviously witnessned lexi pass away and i have left her with him for an hour or 2...Question is without sounding insensitive how soon should i try and get him a new wife? If he us alone i think he will die of lonliness x

Oh no what a terrible shock - I am so very sorry :(

Shock can be lethal to a rabbit - there was nothing you could've done.

When the circumstances seem to indicate it (as in Pablo's case) then I have rebonded with a new bunny within a week. It can totally be the right thing to rescue the situation

Good luck, I am thinking of you xx

Oh that's awful, I'm so sorry. Very strange indeed how she got out if there are no signs of injury and your gate is secured. Is there anything she could have hopped onto then over the wall if she had managed to escape her hutch?

What an awful thing to happen :cry: Poor Lexi :cry:

As for when the 'right' time may be to find another friend for Pablo, all Rabbits are different. Some may not accept another Rabbit straight away, but may do so after a few weeks. I have only ever had one Rabbit who refused to accept any other Rabbit after she lost her soul mate. Then I have also had a few Rabbits who were bonded to another friend within a couple of days of their previous friend's passing.

Thank you guys it looks like i will have to padlocl the run in future although its something i didnt want to do. Im certain my dogs will have barked if they heard bunnies scattering, along with next door who sleep with all windows open. How lexi got down that alley will be forever a mystery xx

Quick update we have removed Lexi from the hutch...given pablo his lunchtime forage which he is eating with gusto x

:cry: this is heartbreaking I am so sorry to hear about lexi, I suspect shock, being prey animals they hide it very well and when they seem to be ok then their hearts just give way :cry: its awful worry if someone has deliberately come over your wall and done this, have you got a padlock to secure Pablo safe for now?

Yes unfortunatly pablo is now padlocked in. I am going to have to try and sort out alternative accomadation for him as i really do not like padlocking his run for some reason....i may fetch him indoors. Husband is now on one wondering if Lexis watery eye was myxomotisis as opposed to injury from her dissaperance i just find it impossible for a healthy bouncy rabbit to die!!! My heads messed up

I am so sorry, that will have been an awful and upsetting shock for you, I believe my very first bunny Boot (approx 23 years ago) died of shock after a small accident. It sounds very similar. The vet checked him over and he seemed absolutely fine apart from a grazed nose but died the next day :( Binky free Lexi xxxx

Back