• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

TanzyPan

Alpha Buck
Hi all , as you might remember my baby boy died recently and we have been offered one of his brothers .
We have decided to go for it and will be picking him up Monday.

Anyways I was just reading posts and seen one where a boy isn't eating after Neutering.
This scares me as I've just been through the no eating !!
So what I would like is your advice on whether a male actually needs to be done ???

My previous French lop boy wasn't and he didn't spray or have aggressive moments .

Thanks lovelies

T x

Hi all , as you might remember my baby boy died recently and we have been offered one of his brothers .

Anyways I was just reading posts and seen one where a boy isn't eating after Neutering.
So what I would like is your advice on whether a male actually needs to be done ???

My previous French lop boy wasn't and he didn't spray or have aggressive moments .

Thanks lovelies

T x

Neutering is certainly advisable for the overall longterm benefits it gives. A straight-forward castration is a relatively minor procedure and most Bucks are back to normal within 24 hours after surgery. Neutering also means the Buck could be bonded with another Rabbit. Rabbits do need a friend of their own kind, they are very social animals. Un-neutered Bucks may display a lot of sexual behaviour like spraying and humping(everything!), so they clearly feel a degree of frustration at having the relevant 'bits' and having no-Bun to use them on.....so-to-speak !

Testicular tumours can occur in older entire Bucks.

I would only not neuter a Buck if I were Breeding from him or if the Buck had a health problem that would mean any GA would be a significant risk.

This RWAF leaflet would be useful to take a look at :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

Just a word of warning, the condition dear Aubrey passed away from is highly contagious and personally I would be VERY wary of obtaing another Kit from the same Breeder.

Last edited:
When we went back to see the rest of the litter they was all massive compared to Aubrey.
All was eating and had healthy poos

The one we picked was not one we had ever considered before but when she opened the pen he came straight over and I got a nice long bhnny cuddle .
He's been in a quarantined in a hutch for a week and all being well we pick him up tomorrow.

I neutered my boy oreo at the start of summer and you wouldn't have known he'd had surgery that day, he was eating again fine straight away and recovered very quickly. He's now happily bonded to one of my girls poppy and they are a joy to see together. I'd neutered every time so they can have a friend- they are so different when they've got one I guess because they are happy :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks lovelies

T x

Hi T :wave:

Yes I know the 'not eating' is very scary, but it doesn't have to happen after neutering. I also realise it's not so vital to a buck's health that you get him neutered.

BUT - it's much better for his state of mind that he is, as otherwise he can be spraying and humping and feeling frustrated. Not all bucks, but certainly most in my 20+ years of experience.

Do you ever want him to have a friend? If you do, then it's a MUST :D

More info here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

Back