• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my bunny just moulting or is it something else?

Bebbeb

Young Bun
My rabbit, Ebony is 5 years old and has been moulting really badly, she's been losing lots of fur, a lot more than usual. On the top of her back there's a patch that's really thinned out, she's not biting or scratching and it's not coming out in clumps, there's no dry skin so it shouldn't be mites. I'm just concerned as this is a new thing and all her fur is so thick accept for this one patch on her back. Do I need to be worried? She should be going to the vet soon as I'm getting her spayed so the vet can give her a look over too but do I need to be taking her in asap?

My Charlie is same age and is literally moulting the most he ever has. My mum also mentioned hets are moulting more than they ever had. Might be the crazy weather?

My Poppy is having a particularly bad moult too - I think it's because of the really warm weather. Just try and keep Ebony well groomed so he doesnt ingest too many hairs :wave:

Does she go under a hutch or anything that her back would rub against ? That can remove a lot of fur from the back when a Rabbit is in moult.

My Poppy is having a particularly bad moult too - I think it's because of the really warm weather. Just try and keep Ebony well groomed so he doesnt ingest too many hairs :wave:

Lottie has given good advice about keeping her well groomed so she doesn't ingest hairs.

Hopefully it's just the moult and nothing else, as you haven't seen evidence of mites or anything :wave:

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies :)
In regards to grooming, I brush her daily but I think I may have over groomed her? My friend was enjoying brushing her and she ended being brushed 4 times on one day, maybe he was too rough? this was the same day I noticed her fur thin.
Ebony is an indoor rabbit and has no hutch but I do give her cardboard boxes to hide in. She loves one in particular that's on a windowsill, it has 2 holes cut out to use as doors and she go's to sit up there everyday so maybe she scrapes her back along the top of the hole?

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies :)
In regards to grooming, I brush her daily but I think I may have over groomed her? My friend was enjoying brushing her and she ended being brushed 4 times on one day, maybe he was too rough? this was the same day I noticed her fur thin.
Ebony is an indoor rabbit and has no hutch but I do give her cardboard boxes to hide in. She loves one in particular that's on a windowsill, it has 2 holes cut out to use as doors and she go's to sit up there everyday so maybe she scrapes her back along the top of the hole?

You should be able to tell as there would be fur attached to the cardboard :)

Here is an example of what a heavy moult looks like

Rabbits006-1.jpg

bisc has had the heaviest moult this summer aswell. it's just coming to an end now. but i was starting to worry because in all the ten years i've had him, he's never moulted this much :shock:

Wow! I have never seen a moult that bad! Seeing that makes me calmer to be honest! Ebony's patch is noticeable but nothing like that.
What's different this year is ebony's fur usually comes out in tuff's but this time it's just fur flying everywhere when I stroke her haha

Same here. The fur in the house is 'biblical'. I take them on to the balcony on alternate evenings and pluck them like chickens. It's endless. Totally happy buns getting ready for the new season's designer collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Same here. The fur in the house is 'biblical'. I take them on to the balcony on alternate evenings and pluck them like chickens. It's endless. Totally happy buns getting ready for the new season's designer collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

:lol: Well put - I agree :D

Cookie has had a really bad moult this year too. Probably the worst I have ever seen on her. Not good news for me who is allergic to her fur! I nearly took her to the vets thinking she must be deficient in something, she honestly looked like a neglect case! Happy to report her new fur is coming in quickly now though and she looks healthy again! I use a damp hand to stroke her with and get any loose fluff off.

Back