• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after neutering!

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello,
Oggy got neutered yesterday, picked him up brought him home and he pretty much slept the whole evening.
I left him the night and when checked on him this morning he hasn't eaten at all.
I've offered him fruits: raspberries and blueberries, veg: peppers carrots and herbs: rosemary and thyme. And he's not interested in any of it!
He does appear to be drinking but has only done two poos since he's been home!
Should I be worried?

Hello,
Oggy got neutered yesterday, picked him up brought him home and he pretty much slept the whole evening.
I left him the night and when checked on him this morning he hasn't eaten at all.
I've offered him fruits: raspberries and blueberries, veg: peppers carrots and herbs: rosemary and thyme. And he's not interested in any of it!
Should I be worried?

Am I correct in thinking that you are not in the UK ? It is 1850hrs here. Time being relevent as from your post I am not sure if your Rabbit has not eaten for about 12 hours or for about 24 hours.

I would contact your Vet as even if it is that your Rabbit has not eaten overnight (about 12 hours) then he may still need additional analgesia and some medication to kick start his GI tract.

Have you checked the surgical wound ?

Hello,
Should I be worried?

I am sorry to hear about Oggy :(

From what you're saying, he's not eaten overnight? And still didn't this morning?

I should give your vet a call if they are open and discuss what you might do next. A vet can give gut motility drugs and some pain relief, as the poor little one might be suffering a bit. You can also ask whether the vet gave him any pain relief as this may still be taking effect, or it may have made him sleepy and slow to recover.

They usually do bounce back, and I'm glad to hear he's drinking :D

Good luck xx

Hm, when his tummy is ok he sure loves those stuff: very high sugar treats, sweet watery stuff without much fiber, and spices.

As far as I can tell from my rabbits they know pretty well what they need, when he's used to greens I would offer leaves from (untreated) roses (or other rosea plants like apple tree, raspberry etc.), plaintain (garden weed), yarrow, a little dandelion, and such stuff, along with hay of course.

What is his normal diet?

Drinking is a good sign, though, guess it can take some time to get back to normal after that.

I'm in the uk. It's 19:37 here.
I don't know whether the vets are open but I could call the emergency vet? I know it may not be classed as an emergency as such so not sure I'm able to do it?
X

Can you pick him some fresh grass - this is the most popular food they like after an op. Hope he will start eating soon.

He normally eats the supreme science selective jr mixed with the adult food and was eating it fine. He usually loves hay and I can normally bribe him with the fruit salad that they sell at pets at home.
I did have him inside so I could monitor him as I was a bit worried but have now put him back outside in his normally surroundings to try to settle him a bit more.

Hello,
A rabbit not eating is an emergency so don't worry about calling the vet out of hours / on the emergency tel.
If he's still not eating you really need help from the vet, as others have said he may need pain relief and gut motility drugs.

Don't wait, it's better to be safe than sorry x

I have rang the vets.
They said they could force feed him
£100 for tonight
£150 after 10pm tonight
Or £40 Tomoz morning

Am I okay to wait until Tomoz morning?

I have tried to syringe him his pellets mixed with water which he did not like at all and felt it was stressing him out more.
I have an appointment with the vet Tomoz who will hopefully force feed him and snap him out of his stubborn ways.
Just keeping my fingers crossed he's alright until Tomoz morning.

I have tried to syringe him his pellets mixed with water which he did not like at all and felt it was stressing him out more.
I have an appointment with the vet Tomoz who will hopefully force feed him and snap him out of his stubborn ways.
Just keeping my fingers crossed he's alright until Tomoz morning.

Hoping he'll be OK overnight :D

Am I best leaving him outside in his normal hutch. Or inside where he's been since he's been home so he's warm and I can keep an eye on him?
I don't know whether it's more stressful for him being in a strange place?

Am I best leaving him outside in his normal hutch. Or inside where he's been since he's been home so he's warm and I can keep an eye on him?
I don't know whether it's more stressful for him being in a strange place?

If it were me, I would keep him indoors so he would be warm and I could keep an eye on him. Is he alone outside?

He's going to be stressed anyway if he's not feeling well.

Morning update:
Oggy has been fine everytime I go in to see him, he's always hopping around jumping up and sprinting across the pen (which I've told him not to do ;) ) the food thing is still worrying me.
I took him in some of his favourite fruit salad from p@h and he ate two bits of that. (I put the whole container in his cage and just let him each as much as he wanted)
I have had next to no sleep worrying about this little man.

I'm now wondering whether he's just slow to recover and get his appetite back or whether he's still not happy. - I think I will take him to the vet just to be safe!

Morning update:
Oggy has been fine everytime I go in to see him, he's always hopping around jumping up and sprinting across the pen (which I've told him not to do ;) ) the food thing is still worrying me.
I took him in some of his favourite fruit salad from p@h and he ate two bits of that. (I put the whole container in his cage and just let him each as much as he wanted)

I'm now wondering whether he's just slow to recover and get his appetite back or whether he's still not happy. - I think I will take him to the vet just to be safe!

I was thinking of you - thank you for posting :D

Did you decide to keep him indoors with you in the end?

So pleased to hear this update :wave:

Morning update:

I would as it will put your mind at rest to know that a Vet has seen him again. Has he passed any poo now ?

Back