• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abx & eyedrops storage and temperature question.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Yesterday I had the washer dryer on for 4 hours. Above the machine is the kitchen bench, where I had oral abx, anti inflammatory drops and abx drops for Babydarling. I realised the bench was warm and the abx bottle.

Will this affect it ? It was all new.

Extreme temperature can affect the medication. They should be kept above 8degc but below around 25degc if they're above a tumble dryer it's likely they'll have been warmed too much.

Hopefully someone else can provide more info.

Personally I'd still use them, but if you're worried you can call your vets and ask for a new prescription. Which you'd have to pay for.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Extreme temperature can affect the medication. They should be kept above 8degc but below around 25degc if they're above a tumble dryer it's likely they'll have been warmed too much.

Hopefully someone else can provide more info.

Personally I'd still use them, but if you're worried you can call your vets and ask for a new prescription. Which you'd have to pay for.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I guessed it wouldn't be a good thing. They cost me £37.00. Ouch.

I doubt it'd have any impact. Drugs are usually ok for limited periods at higher temps.
Which antibiotics? I assume the other is meloxicam. What it would do was speed up any degradation pathway so they might not last as well as they should so the shelf life would shorten.

Yesterday I had the washer dryer on for 4 hours. Above the machine is the kitchen bench, where I had oral abx, anti inflammatory drops and abx drops for Babydarling. I realised the bench was warm and the abx bottle.

Will this affect it ? It was all new.

To be honest I've found these things to be pretty hardy. I'm sure I've done the same (and worse!) over the years and everything still works for me :D

I doubt it'd have any impact. Drugs are usually ok for limited periods at higher temps.
Which antibiotics? I assume the other is meloxicam. What it would do was speed up any degradation pathway so they might not last as well as they should so the shelf life would shorten.

It's light that significantly speeds up degeneration of meloxicam isn't it ?

How's BD doing now Amanda ?

Thanks for the replies. The abx is marbocyl. Eye drops exocin.

Babydarlings eye still isn't great even my neighbours 3 year old said why is his eye shut, a few days ago. Problem is his tearduct is very narrow and scarred and its very unlikely a tearduct flush would work. Is only a mild tearduct sac infection but its trying to clear it up that's the problem. It did take about a month for Kats eye to clear up.

Thanks for the replies. The abx is marbocyl. Eye drops exocin.

Babydarlings eye still isn't great even my neighbours 3 year old said why is his eye shut, a few days ago. Problem is his tearduct is very narrow and scarred and its very unlikely a tearduct flush would work. Is only a mild tearduct sac infection but its trying to clear it up that's the problem. It did take about a month for Kats eye to clear up.

I hope that there will eventually be some improvement, I dont know a thing about Chinnies so I cant offer any advice xx

The antibiotic I'd worry most about is doxycycline as the degradation products are actually toxic.
Heat will speed up any degradation process as you're effectively adding energy to the breakdown process.
Mild elevated heat levels for a few hours on room temperature meds aren't likely to do anything drastic.

Yes, it's light sensitive and breaks down due to photolysis but heat increases any breakdown pathway usually.

Back