• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to find a bunny

Talael

Young Bun
I'm looking for an English Lop to come live with us but I really have no idea where to find one.
I can't travel far as I don't have a car and I live in South Dorset so quite a small area. I'm going to check shelters near here to see if I can find one there but if not where would I look for one?
I've never bought a pet from Pets at Home but that is the nearest place to me... Tho I've heard horror stories about their treatment of the animals. Does anyone recommend them or not?

I'm looking for an English Lop to come live with us but I really have no idea where to find one.
I can't travel far as I don't have a car and I live in South Dorset so quite a small area. I'm going to check shelters near here to see if I can find one there but if not where would I look for one?
I've never bought a pet from Pets at Home but that is the nearest place to me... Tho I've heard horror stories about their treatment of the animals. Does anyone recommend them or not?

If you are set on having an English Lop do make sure that you do A LOT of research about the specific care the breed needs. Low maintenance they are not ! They have many potential health problems, especially relating to their ears. They are prone to Heart Disease too. In the unlikely event of an EL turning up in P@H I would certainly not buy him/her from there. You would need to go to a reputable Breeder. Although many on here (a mostly Rescue focused Forum) believe that there is no such thing as a 'reputable Breeder'. Hence I would prefer to answer any more questions you may have via PM, so do message me if I can be of any more help :)

Would you not consider rehoming a healthy rabbit from a rescue of any other breed?

I doubt you'll find a Pets at Home with an English lop for you.

Good luck xx

English lops will be difficult to find locally without going to a breeder, presuming there is one in your area and they are the type you'd feel comfortable buying an animal from.

How long ears do want - sorry can't think of a better way to phrase that :lol: Rescues do occasionally get English Lops but they also get a lot of cross breeds so you get longer than average lop ears much more frequently than full English Lops (who honestly I would avoid because the extreme causes health issues). You can get some lovely looking 'dwarf lops' that have a similar head shape to the English and inbetween sized ears.

What I'm trying to say is you might do better looking at all the lops rescues have in, rather than specifically asking for English Lop breeds as you might find a cross that is a similar enough match.

Back