• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snotty nose again?!

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hi all,
As some are aware Lady Blue was bein treated a few weeks back for a bacterial infection causing her breathing issues and white snot...
She had her course of antibiotics and anyone inflammatory from the vets and me.

Tonight she's got white snot again and she's crackling when she breathes?!

I don't get paid for 2 weeks, I'm wondering why it's returned so quickly?!
I'm also wondering if perhaps it wasn't fully "killed" and it's come back that way?!

Hi all,
As some are aware Lady Blue was bein treated a few weeks back for a bacterial infection causing her breathing issues and white snot...

I'm also wondering if perhaps it wasn't fully "killed" and it's come back that way?!

I'm sorry to hear this Sharpie :(

Remind me what antibiotic she was on, and for how long?

Hi all,

Unfortunately this can happen with URTIs. Blue was on Baytril for about a week wasn't she ? The course of treatment often needs to be much longer to insure that all the bacteria are killed. Otherwise whilst symptoms may resolve there can be some more resistant bacteria remaining and these will proliferate once the abx treatment stops. So you end up back at square one. A too short course of abx treatment can also lead to abx resistance.

Blue does need to be seen by the Vet again and personally I would want to ask for a different antibiotic this time and for a much longer course than just 7 days.
Maybe your Vet would agree to you paying in instalments this time, as I dont think Blue can wait for another 2 weeks before receiving treatment.

Sending get well soon vibes for her x

Unfortunately this can happen with URTIs. Blue was on Baytril for about a week wasn't she ? The course of treatment often needs to be much longer to insure that all the bacteria are killed. Otherwise whilst symptoms may resolve there can be some more resistant bacteria remaining and these will proliferate once the abx treatment stops. So you end up back at square one. A too short course of abx treatment can also lead to abx resistance.

Blue does need to be seen by the Vet again and personally I would want to ask for a different antibiotic this time and for a much longer course than just 7 days.
Maybe your Vet would agree to you paying in instalments this time, as I dont think Blue can wait for another 2 weeks before receiving treatment.

Sending get well soon vibes for her x

She was on baytril for two weeks,

I already asked about paying in small amounts over a short time (the last time I went in) and they said no unfortunately they don't offer that service, mainly big companies do and as they're a family private one they can't :(

She was on baytril for two weeks,

I already asked about paying in small amounts over a short time (the last time I went in) and they said no unfortunately they don't offer that service, mainly big companies do and as they're a family private one they can't :(

Are you eligible for assistance from the PDSA

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

The RSPCA (Putney Animal Hospital)

https://www.rspca.org.uk/local/putney-animal-hospital/aboutus

or the Blue Cross

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/veterinary

She's definitely snotty, i can hear the snotty breathing, only her right nostril has white snot, but only a small amount :(

Also, as she's been treated by the vet, you could ring up and explain and ask for some Bisolvon. This mucolytic will help to thin the mucous and help it pass more easily.

Steam may also help her :wave:

I refuse to use rspca again, and I already asked about pdsa and I'm outside their catchment area, I haven't heard of blue cross, would they help with an 8 year old bunny? Most places turn us away or refuse to help :/

I refuse to use rspca again, and I already asked about pdsa and I'm outside their catchment area, I haven't heard of blue cross, would they help with an 8 year old bunny? Most places turn us away or refuse to help :/

You have nothing to loose by asking them :)

She doesn't seem any worse then she was when I last commented. Still only a small amount of white snot in her right nostril, her breathing hasn't got any worse or noisier, she's still happily eating, pooping and weeing. I get paid on the 20th so will be taking her in then.

I definitely think she's getting on, I think she's slowly losing her eye sight, when I put my hands down to give her a tickle or a treat she lunges, if it's food she eats some then she seems to lose it? She can't find it again so I have to pick it up and hand it back to her, otherwise she seems quote content :)
She was spooked this morning from something, was stomping away hiding in her cardboard castle I made, once I spoke and tickled her she calmed down. Still unsure what scared her :/

She doesn't seem any worse then she was when I last commented. Still only a small amount of white snot in her right nostril, her breathing hasn't got any worse or noisier, she's still happily eating, pooping and weeing. I get paid on the 20th so will be taking her in then.

I definitely think she's getting on, I think she's slowly losing her eye sight, when I put my hands down to give her a tickle or a treat she lunges, if it's food she eats some then she seems to lose it? She can't find it again so I have to pick it up and hand it back to her, otherwise she seems quote content :)
She was spooked this morning from something, was stomping away hiding in her cardboard castle I made, once I spoke and tickled her she calmed down. Still unsure what scared her :/

Hope she will be OK until the 20th then x

She lunges because she can't smell who/what it is, not necessrily connected to her eyesight. You don't keep her on shavings do you? Also .03 ml Baytril is very low dose even if twice a day. Is your Vet Rabbit Savvy?

I know someone who uses the Blue Cross and I have been along with her several times.

I would recommend trying it :D

Ahh bless her :love:

I know someone who uses the Blue Cross and I have been along with her several times.

I would recommend trying it :D

Will look into them now :)
All I know is my vets don't take part payments, it had to be paid in full on the day, I know they take payments from insurance companies as I heard a lady with her dog asking if they'll make the claim for the money.

Will look into them now :)
All I know is my vets don't take part payments, it had to be paid in full on the day, I know they take payments from insurance companies as I heard a lady with her dog asking if they'll make the claim for the money.

:wave:

Give me a PM if you need any help.

I signed one of my friends on with them personally, as she is stone deaf. I rang up in the first instance

Good luck xxx

:wave:

Give me a PM if you need any help.

I signed one of my friends on with them personally, as she is stone deaf. I rang up in the first instance

Good luck xxx

I looked on their website and it says i can get a £50 grant for medical care for bunnies, but she has to qualify, when i read down the list i can't see anything about bacterial infections or breathing issues, just all surgery things, like object removal, the snip and inside operations to do with wee wee... :/
I have messaged them but as it's a Sunday i wont get a response until tomorrow.
Will let you know what they say :)

Back