• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!!

My daughter was walking the dogs and has come back with a young bunny, black so must be dumped, very poorly, possibly vhd, I know it's in our area. If I go to vet I'm sure he will be pts, can I save him? I managed to get him to drink a few drops of water with a syringe, and gave him antibiotics jab and metacam jab we use for our guinea pig. He's resting now, but has sore eyes and bumps on his ears. Any advice e please?

Hi, poor rabbit :(

Whilst I appreciate your feeling about the vet's recommendations, I would still think that if the rabbit is able to survive, it would stand a far greater chance by having the correct medication. Giving Metacam will certainly help with any pain that the rabbit is experiencing, but giving a single dose of antibiotic, where you don't know whether it is appropriate for the rabbit's condition, in my view, will not achieve very much.

From the symptoms you have described, it is possible that the rabbit has Myxomatosis. Additionally, if the rabbit has no chance of survival in my view it is better for the vet to end its suffering.

I'm very sorry. I can so appreciate how you want to help the poor rabbit.

Hi, poor rabbit :(

Whilst I appreciate your feeling about the vet's recommendations, I would still think that if the rabbit is able to survive, it would stand a far greater chance by having the correct medication. Giving Metacam will certainly help with any pain that the rabbit is experiencing, but giving a single dose of antibiotic, where you don't know whether it is appropriate for the rabbit's condition, in my view, will not achieve very much.

From the symptoms you have described, it is possible that the rabbit has Myxomatosis. Additionally, if the rabbit has no chance of survival in my view it is better for the vet to end its suffering.

I'm very sorry. I can so appreciate how you want to help the poor rabbit.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well done to your daughter for bringing him home - assuming you have no other buns at home of course.

It is much kinder for the animal to take it to a qualified veterinarian who can treat diseases, than try to basic care at home. Vets only recommend PTS if it is best for the animal. In which case, why would you want to keep it alive and suffering without proper vet treatment? These diseases have no hope with leaving it to progress at home.

Best of luck at the vets, and vibes to poor bunny. :wave:

My daughter was walking the dogs and has come back with a young bunny, black so must be dumped, very poorly, possibly vhd, I know it's in our area. If I go to vet I'm sure he will be pts, can I save him? I managed to get him to drink a few drops of water with a syringe, and gave him antibiotics jab and metacam jab we use for our guinea pig. He's resting now, but has sore eyes and bumps on his ears. Any advice e please?

Welcome to the Forum Kay, and I'm sorry to hear about this little bunny

The vet is the best place to get appropriate treatment, and please let us know how you get on.

Thinking of you x

The vet sadly had to put her to sleep. He said there was something we could try but not very hopeful and she had probably been suffering around two weeks!! Only a baby,a little doe, someone must have lost her or she escaped. I'm so upset, I really wanted to save her. Thank you all for your comments. X

Thank you for letting us know.

Poor little doe :cry: I'm so sorry the vet couldn't save her :cry:

Sending hugs to you and well done for taking her to the vet and ending her suffering.

The vet sadly had to put her to sleep. He said there was something we could try but not very hopeful and she had probably been suffering around two weeks!! Only a baby,a little doe, someone must have lost her or she escaped. I'm so upset, I really wanted to save her. Thank you all for your comments. X

:cry:

That was the kindest thing to do to prevent further suffering

RIP Baby Bunny x

I'm so sorry :(

It was the very kindest thing to do, to save further suffering x

So sorry about the outcome, but you all did absolutely the right thing and prevented a lot of suffering and probably horrible end if your daughter had not picked her up.
RIP little bunny.

Back