• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor flooring for sore hock bunnies

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I need to move my girl outside temporarily, I'm having a 6ft x 8ft x 5ft run built which will be on paving slabs and she will have constant access too, and I'm just wondering what other people put down to protect bunnies feet outdoors on hard surfaces? I've never had a rabbit prone to sore hocks before! She is currently a free range house bunny and her bedroom is entirely covered in vetbed

I'm sorry I can't help.
I'd assume that rubber matting wouldn't help, and that just concrete/paving slabs with as many 'comfy' spaces would be okay unless you can put a layer of hay or straw over the floor.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm such an idiot :oops: it didn't even occur to me to just cover the floor with hay or straw. Thank you! :wave:

I'm reluctant to put blankets or vetbed out because I don't think my best attempts at weatherproofing the run will keep the floor dry, and I wouldn't want her to sit on a wet blanket or anything while I'm out it if was to rain

I don't want to move her outside :( she will for sure get the same amount of interaction as she does now but I feel so terrible

I haven't seen rubber matting before but I will check it out :wave: although it sounds like something she might eat :lol:

I haven't seen rubber matting before but I will check it out :wave: although it sounds like something she might eat :lol:

I have used a couple of different kinds. There's the kind that often comes in tiles, for use in gyms/kids play areas etc. it's more spongy but even my worst chewers didn't bother with it. The other type is the kind used for stable floors, it's very dense and solid. It's more hard wearing and easier to keep clean because it doesn't soak up stuff, and doesn't get dented or punctured. But it wouldn't be so soft for sore hocks. I haven't used either in a run, only in a shed, but I know some people use them outside. I have used children's play bark as a substrate in my aviary, it was fine as the quad only went to the toilet in the shed in their trays luckily. Has to be play bark not ornamental as ornamental bark has dyes and fungicides in it.

Back