• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incurin - any experiences?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
After trying abx/metacam/propalin for one of my buns (after tests) she is still intermittent incontinent i.e. 3-6 weeks OK and then soaking. I asked my vet about some hormone tabs to try as we had read somewhere these may help.

Does anyone have any experience of using incurin tabs and what dose you gave. Cass is 2.2kg.

After trying abx/metacam/propalin for one of my buns (after tests) she is still intermittent incontinent i.e. 3-6 weeks OK and then soaking. I asked my vet about some hormone tabs to try as we had read somewhere these may help.

Does anyone have any experience of using incurin tabs and what dose you gave. Cass is 2.2kg.

I'm sorry you're still having issues :(

What was your vet's response to using Incurin?

I know my vet had never used Propalin in a rabbit before and so was reluctant when I suggested it.

Thank you Jane for the link and info. It is useful to know.

MM - my vet is very open minded and will check with other experts and he is happy to try it as we have tried everything else.

In addition to all the meds we have Cass on the Oxbow urinary little tabs also the hay bars for urinary tract so can't do much more in the way of "alternative" things. She also gets the glucosamine Oxbow tabs.

Never in a rabbit before but seen lots of dogs on it throughout the years. Always worked well on the dogs and they always eventually reduce the amount after 6 months.
Sending you vibes x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

MM - my vet is very open minded and will check with other experts and he is happy to try it as we have tried everything else.

In addition to all the meds we have Cass on the Oxbow urinary little tabs also the hay bars for urinary tract so can't do much more in the way of "alternative" things. She also gets the glucosamine Oxbow tabs.

:thumb:

The only other 'alternative' thing I did was use homeopathy. Under the guidance of a qualified practitioner :)

That's OK. Has the Vet mentioned Interstitial cystitis ? Not sure if Cassie has any pain associated with her incontinence though ?

Hi Jane, the incontinence does not seem to bother her at all. She moves around and you wouldn't know about it unless you pick her up to check her which I do at least twice a day anyway (or smell her when it is a bad day).

She had ultrasound/x-rays/bloods etc last year but it showed nothing unusual.

What would be the medication for that if it was. Just wondering if there is something else we can suggest.

Hi Jane, the incontinence does not seem to bother her at all. She moves around and you wouldn't know about it unless you pick her up to check her which I do at least twice a day anyway (or smell her when it is a bad day).

She had ultrasound/x-rays/bloods etc last year but it showed nothing unusual.

What would be the medication for that if it was. Just wondering if there is something else we can suggest.

It doesn't sound like IC then as that is usually painful. It is also known as 'irritable bladder' and NSAIDs are part of the treatment. It does sound more like hormone related incontinence. Changes in oestrogen and progesterone levels affect the urinary sphincter mechanism so urine leaking occurs.

What did your Vet think about trying the Incurin ? If you decide to do so I'd ask the Vet about the potential side effects which include the increased risk of mammary tumours. As with so many treatments it is likely to be a case of weighing up risks v benefits xx

Hi Jane, thank you. She does not seem to be in discomfort.

My vet did mention that the side effects and increased risk of mammary tumours which is why I am hesitant in trying it but we are also running out of options to try.

Back