• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for new vet in Northumberland

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
Well, we are finally about to move to Northumberland to rent in the next month or two so we are hoping for some vet recommendations. We've also emailed the RWA and looked on FHB's website. Judith Brown's name jumps out from my research - does anyone go to her with their buns? Any other recommendations? I've seen one very positive and one very negative for PAH vet at Cramlington as well. We'll be living somewhere between Alnwick, Morpeth, Ponteland or North Newcastle. Or even Rothbury - anywhere we can find who'll allow renters with 18 small furries - wish us luck! Thanks:wave:

:wave:

Is Durham likely to be too far? Gilmoor vets in Durham is one of the only RWAF gold star bunny savvy practices, so they'd be a good bet if you end up towards the Southern end of Northumberland. Obviously while I don't know them personally, in the Alnwick/Morpeth region, there are a few vets who were quick off the mark getting the RHD2 vaccine in stock so that indicates that they are perhaps more bunny savvy than most and may be worth exploring further: Robson & Prescott (several branches in Northumberland - their main hospital in Morpeth has a separate exotics ward and is 24/7 staffed), My Family Vets North East, St Clair Veterinary Centre. Also First Vets Forest Hall - is that Judith Brown's one? I seem to recall that she used to be the RWAF vet advisor (or whatever they called that post back then) many years ago.

Last edited:
Oh, thank you. Looks like I might have some choice :D. Durham is too far away but RWA recommend someone called Rieke Hettrick who works as a vet in a referral centre in Cramlington which is really good location if we settle in the south of Northumberland which is likely certainly in the short term. They have the RWA silver award. Surprising they are not on your rhd2 list but good that Robson and Prescott have it - they are the main vet in Alnwick and they tell us they have a 'go-to' rabbit vet there at least! It amuses that we haven't got round to thinking about doctors, dentists etc for ourselves yet...

Well obviously, the right vet is far more important than all those other services!! A quick google suggests that Rieke's practice is referral only so they probably don't stock vaccine because that's a normal first opinion procedure...either that or they do have it but no-one has reported it to me. I suspect the former though! Robson and Prescott certainly seem to be the one with a number of branches in that area so if they're reasonably bunny savvy (and it sounds as if they should be) then they may well be a good bet as a local first opinion practice, with the assurance that there's a bunny savvy referral place not too far away. Always nice to get personal experience though isn't it :)

Back