• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panicking!

loobers25

Warren Veteran
My baby bun has quite a big tummy. I've been reading up about bloat. How will I know if its bloat? He eats so much so it could be food? What are the signs? I know all about Gi statis but I am so scared as they say you can't do anything for him. He's been to the vets today and nothing was said?

Is he still eating and pooping as normal? And is his behaviour normal? Bloat and GI stasis is accompanied by a change in behaviour, refusal of food, signs of pain such as tummy pressing, stretching out, tooth grinding. It can be treated but needs fast veterinary attention. Is his stomach hard? I don't know if this is the same with bloat in rabbits but in guinea pigs I was told you would know by how hard the stomach would be, and if the gently flick it the stomach would sound hollow.

Eating and popping fine. Its not solid when you press it its not squidgy like fat its more like a balloon sort of feel. I know buns hide pain so this is why im worried

My baby bun has quite a big tummy. I've been reading up about bloat. How will I know if its bloat? He eats so much so it could be food? What are the signs? I know all about Gi statis but I am so scared as they say you can't do anything for him. He's been to the vets today and nothing was said?

So he's eating and pooping fine, he's zooming around, and the vet thought he was fine today?

I think he's OK - it's probably lots of food in his tummy :D

I know you'll watch him like a hawk :D

Hes leaving his cecals ( sorry I don't know how to spell it) He s just treads all on them. Its definitely not dioreah but im wondering why he may be producing so much. I had a bun who never ate his and was a night mare for making a mess and keeping flys away

Hes leaving his cecals ( sorry I don't know how to spell it) He s just treads all on them. Its definitely not dioreah but im wondering why he may be producing so much. I had a bun who never ate his and was a night mare for making a mess and keeping flys away

Baby Rabbits often leave some cecals, especially between the ages of 8-12 weeks. The balance of gut flora and the PH of the stomach are changing at this stage. As long as he is producing normal fecal poo and the cecotrophs he leaves are well formed I would not worry too much.

What are you feeding him at the moment and how much ?

I wouldn't worry too much about the cecals. Because he's young, you have to feed him up, and this can cause excess cecals to be produced. Is he also producing normal pellet (poos)?

Yeah lots of normal bum nuggets they literally fall out of him like a machine gun. He never stops eating. Hes got pets at home own brand nuggets that he came with. I have got some 10+ week burgess excel nuggets but reading the advice on here I don't think I should change his food over for a while. It really annoys me that pet shops do this because I imagine what they eat when they are little will affect there health for the rest of there life. But anyway hes also got plain timothy hay and excel timothy hay with marigold , and a alfafa hay ring I bought. I have got lots of other hay for example Hay with carrots, Alfafa King hay and 5 a day hay that I have for my others which im too scared to intruce. He must have a really fat belly. If I was to give him the bag of pellets I think he would sit there and eat the whole bag until he exploded. hes being very bitey at the moment which I don't remember my others being like that, biting my hands, clothes etc not hard but can be abit nippy sometimes. Not in his cage but when we are lounging and cuddling :?

Yeah lots of normal bum nuggets they literally fall out of him like a machine gun. He never stops eating. Hes got pets at home own brand nuggets that he came with. I have got some 10+ week burgess excel nuggets but reading the advice on here I don't think I should change his food over for a while. It really annoys me that pet shops do this because I imagine what they eat when they are little will affect there health for the rest of there life. But anyway hes also got plain timothy hay and excel timothy hay with marigold , and a alfafa hay ring I bought. I have got lots of other hay for example Hay with carrots, Alfafa King hay and 5 a day hay that I have for my others which im too scared to intruce. He must have a really fat belly. If I was to give him the bag of pellets I think he would sit there and eat the whole bag until he exploded. hes being very bitey at the moment which I don't remember my others being like that, biting my hands, clothes etc not hard but can be abit nippy sometimes. Not in his cage but when we are lounging and cuddling :?

You're absolutely right Loobers :)

Frances Harcourt Brown suggests that the diet in infancy is incredibly important for a rabbit's skeletal and dental development.

I would introduce your others to the lovely hay you've bought .. Sounds like a real treat :D

Back