• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should you always have a bonded pair?

Dem

Young Bun
Hi All,

I just wanted your thoughts of rabbits living alone. I will admit that when i first had Bubbles i knew very little about the reality of rabbits. I fell into that horrid group of "its a rabbit how hard can it be". Luckily i was sensible enough to start researching and sitting quietly in the wings and reading posts on this amazing forum has slowly opened my eyes to the reality of what a rabbit genuinely needs.

When getting Bubbles i decided on having just the one rabbit but the more i read the more concerned i am that i am subjecting this beautifully social creature to a life of solitude. He has a massive amount of human contact but is that enough? He is now three, has all his little bits so is very dominant.

Should i consider bonding him or is it too late? and most importantly have i made a horrible decision keeping him alone :cry:

Thanks everyone xxx

I think a rabbit can be happy on its own with enough human company if that's the way the owner wants it. I also feel a male rabbit is more able to cope alone, rasther than a female. But for me I have never had just one of any small animal, 2 Goldfish, 2 Budgies etc. Dogs and cats are different in a way. I don't think 3 is too old to think about getting him a friend. :thumb:

Hi Dem! :wave:

Don't feel bad, you obviously care for bubbles very much. Human contact is great but unfortunately is no substitute for another rabbit. Here's the good news - it's never too late!

He will need to be neutered first and allowed 6 weeks for hormones to die down before attempting any bonding. The easiest option would be a spayed female x

Hi All,

I just wanted your thoughts of rabbits living alone. I will admit that when i first had Bubbles i knew very little about the reality of rabbits. I fell into that horrid group of "its a rabbit how hard can it be". Luckily i was sensible enough to start researching and sitting quietly in the wings and reading posts on this amazing forum has slowly opened my eyes to the reality of what a rabbit genuinely needs.

When getting Bubbles i decided on having just the one rabbit but the more i read the more concerned i am that i am subjecting this beautifully social creature to a life of solitude. He has a massive amount of human contact but is that enough? He is now three, has all his little bits so is very dominant.

Should i consider bonding him or is it too late? and most importantly have i made a horrible decision keeping him alone :cry:

Thanks everyone xxx

Hi Dem :wave:

It's truly never too late to give a rabbit a special friend :D

Once neutered, you could perhaps scour rescue centres and see if there's a spayed female you fancy. The rescue centre will often help with the bonding too.

He would have a lovely life ahead of him. Rabbits are social creatures and live in groups in the wild. There's nothing so wonderful as seeing two rabbits snuggling up together xx

I think some rabbits can live very happy lives alone if they get to spend 24/7 with their human. Some can become very bonded to their human.

Daphne started as just a single bunny. I worked 6 hours a day and she seemed content but I thought she'd like a friend. So we got Phoebe. After three months of gruelling bonding, I've never seen her so happy.

Obviously, because she has company of her own kind she's not as cuddly with us humans. I mean, she has a friend who understands her best and can do all the things a bunny loves which a human just simply can not do.

You can make the best choice for him.
Even if you don't get him a friend - I'd recommend neutering him for his own benefit. His hormones will be driving him crazy, and he's at risk of certain health problems. Neutering could prolong his life.

You'll have 2 months after his neuter to decide what's best for you, him and your home situation x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi Dem,

When I read your question in the thread, without reading the post, - my first thought was no. You don't always have to have a bonded pair. You can have larger groups. I have 3 pairs and a quad - the quad demonstrates some of the most hilarious bunny behaviour. There's nothing like having 4 little determined faces charging around in excitement to see you.

But anyway -- like you, I originally kept single bunnies. I loved them and cherished them but after research realised what I was denying them. I have always seemed to end up with single does - and in part, that is why I've got so many rabbits now. I wouldn't ever want a single rabbit now. Unless, of course, the bun repeatedly rejected all attempts at being bonded with other rabbits and demonstrated that (s)he absolutely must be a single rabbit. But that's quite rare, I think.

Of course, neutering is important for bonding - and also important for a rabbit's physical and mental wellbeing. 3 is certainly not too late to neuter and it's never too late to open your and Bubbles's lives to somebunny else. As rescues are always bursting at the seams, I'm sure there'll be a ladybun there for him somewhere. Rescues can also help with bonding too, if you don't feel confident and comfortable doing it -- though personally, I've always done the bonding myself.

However, don't feel bad about the fact you've been keeping him alone. I'm sure he's very happy with you. Neutering and meeting another bunny will just help to make him even happier still.

Even if you don't get him a friend - I'd recommend neutering him for his own benefit. His hormones will be driving him crazy, and he's at risk of certain health problems. Neutering could prolong his life.

In my view, you should consider this even if you decide to keep Bubbles as a single rabbit.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to approach the breeder i got bubbles from to see if there are any individuals that arent already sold from a litter and if that doesnt come off i think i shall approach my local shelter as im sure there are lots of homeless buns that need a good home.

I know this sounds a really strange question but as bubbles has had stasis im not deluded enough to think he will never get it again. How does this effect a bonded pair, am i right in assuming there is no risk of it being contagious at all, i know sometimes this can be caused by bacteria. Sorry i'm sure you are laughing at my lack of knowledge :lol:

xx

Stasis can be caused by a number of things.
Stress, illness, diet, dental problems, pain etc.
Fingers crossed he's never affected by it again, but some rabbits will get it time and time again with no obvious cause.

Generally, bonding with another rabbit has no effect on it other than the other bunny can help support their partner while they're in stasis.
It's not contagious as the word stasis is just a general term used to refer to the gut mobility slowing, or stopping.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to approach the breeder i got bubbles from to see if there are any individuals that arent already sold from a litter and if that doesnt come off i think i shall approach my local shelter as im sure there are lots of homeless buns that need a good home.

I know this sounds a really strange question but as bubbles has had stasis im not deluded enough to think he will never get it again. How does this effect a bonded pair, am i right in assuming there is no risk of it being contagious at all, i know sometimes this can be caused by bacteria. Sorry i'm sure you are laughing at my lack of knowledge :lol:

xx

No one is laughing at all Dem, I assure you :)

We are all learning as we go along!

Stasis can be caused by lots of different things. Often the cause is never determined. However, unless a bacterial or viral infection is at the root (quite rare) then there is nothing contagious about it.

Here's some more info (I may have given you this before?)

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

I have hardly encountered stasis in my rabbits over 20+ years, so it's not a foregone conclusion that he will get it again :D

Back