• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad idea?

Limit

Warren Scout
Long time since posting but I'm in a bit of a pickle. We're waiting (impatiently) for the new rabbit kennel to arrive but we have already been waiting three months! The problem with this is that it was supposed to be for us to get Binky a new husbun, as she's showing signs of loneliness (still eating tonnes of hay and food, etc just seems a bit sluggish since the death of smudge :( ).

Because of this I've been seriously considering moving her indoors (until it's arrival) so that I'm able to give her much more attention. I'm aware it's not the same as getting a husbun but it's the best I can do for now. She'll be in my bedroom with access to most of the room (and across the landing; also in the bathroom) except under my bed and plug sockets will be sectioned off/ bunny proofing will be put in place! I am concerned she'll become too hot but the heaters are never on and there's enough windows that can open - gets a good draft through too. I know this is a long thread but I'm just looking for some advice and if this is a good idea or not? All advice is appreciated!

It depends for how long it is for really. Nights will start drawing in now and that is when buns start to grow their winter coat. A bunny inside will not feel the extremes of temp that an outside one would and so does not grow a coat that will keep them warm enough over winter.

I doubt bringing a bunny in now for a couple of weeks would be a problem but unless we have a very very mild autumn I would not put an inside bunny out for winter after about late September as although the daytime temperatures in late September can be very mild it can drop to near freezing at night which a bunny in a summer coat would struggle with!

Unless of course you keep her in all winter and put her out again in April/May time when the night time temperatures start to rise again, in which case go for it!

It depends for how long it is for really. Nights will start drawing in now and that is when buns start to grow their winter coat. A bunny inside will not feel the extremes of temp that an outside one would and so does not grow a coat that will keep them warm enough over winter.

I doubt bringing a bunny in now for a couple of weeks would be a problem but unless we have a very very mild autumn I would not put an inside bunny out for winter after about late September as although the daytime temperatures in late September can be very mild it can drop to near freezing at night which a bunny in a summer coat would struggle with!

Unless of course you keep her in all winter and put her out again in April/May time when the night time temperatures start to rise again, in which case go for it!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it would be for the whole winter until it starts to warm up as I'm hoping this will give us a chance to paint, insulate and ready the new housing! :D I think I'll begin my bunny proofing and see how well I do with that :lol:

If she's in for the whole winter I'd bring her in and put her back out in summer when the new place is all set up (would you bond before she goes into her new house?)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If she's in for the whole winter I'd bring her in and put her back out in summer when the new place is all set up (would you bond before she goes into her new house?)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes that was the plan, hoping to have bonded her with a husbun from a rescue before she goes into the new house as I'd like it to be for them both to explore the new surroundings together. :)

Back