• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Illnesses and Diseases

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hi all

When it comes to illnesses and diseases for my rabbits I'm really a beginner I know nothing; and so if you could take your time to look at this thread and let me know of illnesses or diseases and websites I can look on to read up about the dangers then I can know what to do and what not to do. I would do anything to keep my rabbits safe.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ecuniculi should be read up on. RWAF has good info on ecuniculi. Cystitis in girls . Gastro stasis. Just a few to read up on.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Hi all

When it comes to illnesses and diseases for my rabbits I'm really a beginner I know nothing; and so if you could take your time to look at this thread and let me know of illnesses or diseases and websites I can look on to read up about the dangers then I can know what to do and what not to do. I would do anything to keep my rabbits safe.

Thanks

I think it'd be a good idea to focus on what can be done to prevent illnesses. So vaccination against Myxomatosis and RHD1 and now, due to a new variant of RHD1, (RHD2) vaccinating against RHD2 aswell.

http://www.rabbitawarenessweek.co.uk/for-vets/vaccinations-for-rabbits/nobivac/

There is a FB Group focusing on RHD2 here:

You will find a lot of useful information on the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund website

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

This website is USA based but it provides some detailed information about various Rabbit illnesses/health problems

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/index_en.htm

Then you could have a look around this Forum too :)

Last edited:
I'd also recommend researching Flystrike. (Sorry I can't provide a website - it's difficult to do so on the phone).

It may be worth looking into dental issues with rabbits - mainly malocclusion (were front teeth don't line up properly) and spurs (where teeth don't wear properly causing sharp points to form)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think that GI Stasis is an important one to recognise and take seriously. If one of your rabbits is not eating, there is a need to act promptly, usually this will mean taking your rabbit to a vet for an examination. Rabbits who are not eating will quickly go downhill if not treated in the early stages.

Vaccinating against Mtxomatosis and RHD1 and 2

Neutering females in particular to avoid them getting Uterine Cancer

Good hay eating to try to prevent teeth problems and tummy problems

Keeping your rabbits clean is very important to prevent Snuffles

Keeping stress at a low level as this can bring on illness

Hi all

Thanks

Here are some I've found particularly useful:

For GI Stasis

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

For vaccinations and general health I would look up the RWAF websites.

Medirabbit and Houserabbit.org provide very valuable info :thumb:

Good luck x

Hi all

Is this a good idea: I do not know what vaccinations my rabbits have and what they dont, so should I next Time I go to the vets ask them what the have and then you guys can say some that are quite important that they dont.

Thanks all
Ali

Well done you for wanting to do research. As been mentioned neturing and vaccination are vital. As is knowing when to spot a possible statis episode and even choking, lack of appitite, less poo. Also cannot stress enough teeth teeth teeth...so many bunny issues can be caused by dental problems unlimted hay is essential if ever in doubt always phone a vet ☺ good luck with your buns.

Well done you for wanting to do research. As been mentioned neturing and vaccination are vital. As is knowing when to spot a possible statis episode and even choking, lack of appitite, less poo. Also cannot stress enough teeth teeth teeth...so many bunny issues can be caused by dental problems unlimted hay is essential if ever in doubt always phone a vet ☺ good luck with your buns.

:thumb:

Hi all

Is this a good idea: I do not know what vaccinations my rabbits have and what they dont, so should I next Time I go to the vets ask them what the have and then you guys can say some that are quite important that they dont.

Thanks all
Ali

Yes, ask the vet about what vaccinations and treatment they have had in the past :thumb:

Hello! I see you're in Ipswich - both RHD2 and myxomatosis have been reported very recently in the area so I would strongly recommend that you get your bunny vaccinated against both these diseases as soon as you can, if they aren't already. Which vet are you using? Many vets aren't stocking the new RHD2 vaccine yet but I know of a few in the Ipswich area that are stocking it.

Hello! I see you're in Ipswich - both RHD2 and myxomatosis have been reported very recently in the area so I would strongly recommend that you get your bunny vaccinated against both these diseases as soon as you can, if they aren't already. Which vet are you using? Many vets aren't stocking the new RHD2 vaccine yet but I know of a few in the Ipswich area that are stocking it.

I go to the one on wood bridge road.

I just checked toffee over and gave her a groom and checked skin, bottem and feet werent as dirty as dangerous or suspicious but were dirty as dirt run. But it was quite hard as toffee was moving and stressing and didnt enjoy the feet and bottem check, considering pebbles is more stressy and more horrid how am I meant to cope??

Last edited:
How can I keep them clean? Sorry, I didn't mean the rabbits themselves as they keep themselves clean, I meant their living quarters, cleaning out their toilet area every day.

How can I keep them clean ( bearing in mind they wont let me groom them )
Whilst the bunnies usually keep themselves clean, you and they are going to have to get used to each other as you ought to groom them when they are moulting and check their bums in summer for fly strike.
You can do this by sitting with the buns with a pocket of pellets and hand feeding whilst stroking so they get used to your touch, you can progress. Take it slowly

Whilst the bunnies usually keep themselves clean, you and they are going to have to get used to each other as you ought to groom them when they are moulting and check their bums in summer for fly strike.
You can do this by sitting with the buns with a pocket of pellets and hand feeding whilst stroking so they get used to your touch, you can progress. Take it slowly

Ok thanks will try.

Back