• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
My big squidgy boy Joe-Joe had to be put to sleep at the vets yesterday :cry: The vet said he had e-cuniculi. My dilemma is that he leaves behind Nutmeg who is 5. I won't be getting any more bunnies but nor do I want her to be alone for the rest of her life but can I rehome her with someone else who needs a wifey-bun for their older boy given that she may too have e-cuniculi but not be showing symptoms? I've had a very quick Google and it says over 50% of UK pet rabbits carry it but only 6% go on to develop the illness so am I worrying over nothing or would it be wrong to rehome her in case she suddenly comes down with it herself or could pass it on? I don't know all the ins and outs of how th eillness progresses, i'm still to upset about my lovely Joe-Joe to read a great deal about it. Thank you.

I'm so sorry you lost Joe Joe. I hope you don't mind my saying but if you haven't already I'd dose Nutmeg with panacur now, stress can bring on EC (that coupled with Joe Joes active EC spores) put her at higher risk. My bunny got ill with EC in response to losing her bonded half sis.

In terms of rehoming her to be able to live the rest of her years with ongoing bunny company then I'd say yes you can but obviously make sure you pass on all relevant information. My Mouse (bunny) was in the "difficult to rehome" section owing to EC positive test & an episode of head tilt. Her being in the difficult to rehome section made me love & want her more.

Thank you. I'll take Nutmeg to the vet this week for a checkover and ask about the panacur for her. I have no idea how he got it because due to his age I bought them both back indoors last year because I didn't think he'd survive another winter outside. They both had their vaccinations in March so everything was up to date.

Thank you. I'll take Nutmeg to the vet this week for a checkover and ask about the panacur for her. I have no idea how he got it because due to his age I bought them both back indoors last year because I didn't think he'd survive another winter outside. They both had their vaccinations in March so everything was up to date.

Many bunnies will carry EC but the infection won't be active in most - it can take hold when they are physically or emotionally run down. Transmission can be in the womb or by coming in to contact with spores in urine from an infected rabbit. Vaccinations won't cover it but some people use Panacur in a 'preventative' kind of way, giving Panacur when they anticipate bunnies may become stressed (I use it for house moves, bunny bonding, that sort of thing). You can buy online or at Pets@home - its not a prescription drug x

I would look at a full 28 day course of Panacur for Nutmeg. This is the usual treatment for EC. As she is symptomless, this is more as a preventative measure and she shouldn't need any anti-inflammatory (eg Metacam), which a bunny with symptoms would be prescribed.

Panacur is available without prescription. There is a bunny version in a syringe, or you can use the 10% liquid for cats / dogs at 0.2ml per kg - but check with your vet for the dose. I find the liquid much easier as it is more accurate to dose than the bunny syringe version (and often cheaper).

EC prevention should include a full clean (steam or 10% bleach) of the environment - anywhere that the affected rabbits have been, have had contact with (toys, bowls, etc), and in particular - anything that has had contact with urine, as that is where the organism is excreted. A full clean is due on days 21 and 28 of the Panacur treatment. This breaks the lifecycle of the organism. Some things may be impossible to clean eg grass.

EC is quite common - many rabbits have been in contact with it and show no symptoms. There is no reason why exposure to it should cause any issues with other rabbits in the future, especially if relevant preventative measures have been taken.

So sorry you lost Joe-Joe.

Back