• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinated rabbits contracting myxomatosis

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sure it's not just me that's noticed an awful lot of vaccinated bunnies coming down with myxomatosis this year - and those who are coming down with it aren't just getting a nodule or two but seem to be getting extremely ill, and a number of them are sadly not making it through :( Maybe this is normal and we're just becoming aware of more cases, or maybe the weather means it's a particularly heavy year for myxomatosis meaning more cases generally, but maybe there's more to it.

With this in mind - please could I ask that if any of you have, or know of anyone who has, a vaccinated bunny who has come down with myxomatosis, please ask the vet to report it to MSD. They really need to know the magnitude of what is going on and to understand whether this is a normal volume of cases within the ebb and flow of the virus, whether there's a new strain doing the rounds, whether there's a vaccine batch failure, or whether it's the same as normal but we are hearing more about it.

I'm sorry to post such a grim post, and I hope it doesn't cause alarm, but MSD do need to know. I have had one out of twelve come down with myxo here this year - so even if there is an occasional vaccine failure, it still indicates that the vaccine does in most cases work very well and does continue to provide protection. So please don't let this put you off vaccinating...if anything, please make sure that your bunnies vaccines remain in date so that they stand the best possible chance if they do come into contact with the virus.

I'm sure it's not just me that's noticed an awful lot of vaccinated bunnies coming down with myxomatosis this year - and those who are coming down with it aren't just getting a nodule or two but seem to be getting extremely ill, and a number of them are sadly not making it through :( Maybe this is normal and we're just becoming aware of more cases, or maybe the weather means it's a particularly heavy year for myxomatosis meaning more cases generally, but maybe there's more to it.

With this in mind - please could I ask that if any of you have, or know of anyone who has, a vaccinated bunny who has come down with myxomatosis, please ask the vet to report it to MSD. They really need to know the magnitude of what is going on and to understand whether this is a normal volume of cases within the ebb and flow of the virus, whether there's a new strain doing the rounds, whether there's a vaccine batch failure, or whether it's the same as normal but we are hearing more about it.

I'm sorry to post such a grim post, and I hope it doesn't cause alarm, but MSD do need to know. I have had one out of twelve come down with myxo here this year - so even if there is an occasional vaccine failure, it still indicates that the vaccine does in most cases work very well and does continue to provide protection. So please don't let this put you off vaccinating...if anything, please make sure that your bunnies vaccines remain in date so that they stand the best possible chance if they do come into contact with the virus.

A timely reminder Santa.

I was thinking how many rabbits we are seeing on the Forum alone who have Myxi, having been vaccinated. This Forum is growing as rabbit awareness grows, so perhaps we are being made aware more now than in the past.

I totally agree with informing MSD. If the strain of Myxi virus is changing, then we need info to back it up.

I hope Delilah continues to do well :D

I was having this conversation with someone earlier today. They are reporting all cases they come into contact with. Also, there appears to be a different presentation of the 'classic' myxomatosis with Rabbits becoming gravely ill very quickly as opposed the the slower progression of symptoms usually seen.

Makes me wonder if the single dose Myxo Vaccine was not more effective, even if it did rely on a cross immune response from the Shope Fibroma virus :?

Is there a chance that if we start flagging to the VMD at this stage, there's a risk that they'll look to take away the licence altogether, which could end up with no vaccine being available :-/ It feels a bit like telling tales to the regulator before the manufacturer has had a chance to investigate and see if there's something they can do.

No, VMD would request and look at the pharmacovigilance data MSD have collated. They don;t just take things off licence like that as they appreciate a vaccine that's less effective than it perhaps should be is better than no vaccine at all. It's all done on a risk managed basis.

I know my vet spoke to the vac people ... I wouild like to remember I can remember what they reportd back but that time was all a bit of a blur... need to take a form in will ask again if you would like ? x

We've got a bun with myxomatosis atm. His vaccination booster was due, slightly over which is Sod's law, the one time we were lax :(. He's battling through it fairly well though, 11 days in now, so fingers crossed.

Our vet mentioned what you're discussing though and said it's likely due to increased mosquitos, increase the disease carrying vector and you'll increase the amount of rabbits that slip through the vaccination net.

Copied from an appeal from the RWAF on Facebook:

Vaccinated rabbits that have died from Myxomatosis
I'm writing here on behalf of the RWAF www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk We are trying to learn more about this very painful and distressing topic. This message is to owners of rabbits that have had vaccination to protect against Myxomatosis but have nevertheless died from it.
We are sorry for your loss, and, whilst we would not like to make this time more difficult for you, we are trying to find out more about the circumstances surrounding rabbits dying from myxomatosis right now.
If you feel able to, could you let us have the following information please?
Was your rabbit vaccinated?
How long before contracting myxomatosis was this?
What vaccine was given (this was almost certainly Nobivac Myxo RHD, but we would be keen to know if any other vaccines were used, and if the vaccine was given from a single dose vial or at a communal vaccination event from multiple dose vials).
Had your rabbit been given the RHD2 vaccine, and if so, when?
How many rabbits were affected?
Have you or your vet reported this to either the VMD, or the manufacturers, or both?
Please email hq@rabbitwelfare.co.uk
Many thanks

We've got a bun with myxomatosis atm. His vaccination booster was due, slightly over which is Sod's law, the one time we were lax :(. He's battling through it fairly well though, 11 days in now, so fingers crossed.

Our vet mentioned what you're discussing though and said it's likely due to increased mosquitos, increase the disease carrying vector and you'll increase the amount of rabbits that slip through the vaccination net.

I'm so very sorry to hear this Fizix :(

Please don't blame yourself. The vaccination is tested to 13 months efficacy, so it's likely it would've happened alway.

I hope he gets better very soon. Lots of vibes xx

A bun belonging to a lady on the Digital Spy pets forum died yesterday after a two week battle with Myxi (his vacs were up to date).

If the virus is mutating, does the vaccine need updating? There are far more reports amongst my friends and family of wildies with Myxi, dead or dying on paths. One in Tunbridge Wells and a few in Lincs.

I am scared to put Stakki out in the run these days and I'm careful with shoes. I think I might even avoid walks in the countryside for a bit.

It's a worry isn't it :( There are lots of different strains of myxi - whether it's that there's an emerging strain which is more of a problem for the vaccine, or whether it's that the weather means there are far more mozzies about, and therefore just more of it about and more chance of 'finding' vaccine fail bunnies I don't know.

From my own experience I think it's probably the latter, as I had one out of 12 come down with it, and given where we live, with close proximity to wild rabbits and lots of mozzies, if it was a new strain I'd have expected more than one to get it...so it does point more towards vaccine failure for one individual rather than a new aggressive strain. But obviously that's only one case.

It's a worry isn't it :( There are lots of different strains of myxi - whether it's that there's an emerging strain which is more of a problem for the vaccine, or whether it's that the weather means there are far more mozzies about, and therefore just more of it about and more chance of 'finding' vaccine fail bunnies I don't know.

From my own experience I think it's probably the latter, as I had one out of 12 come down with it, and given where we live, with close proximity to wild rabbits and lots of mozzies, if it was a new strain I'd have expected more than one to get it...so it does point more towards vaccine failure for one individual rather than a new aggressive strain. But obviously that's only one case.

Which makes me ponder how many 'vaccine fails' there are among rabbits? Guess we'll never know for sure, but I wonder if there's any way of hazarding a decent estimate?

When I lost my English lop to myxi a while ago the vet said it was just the rabbits immune system that had failed and the vaccine had not worked and said it was not worth reporting. So wonder how many people are told that.

When I lost my English lop to myxi a while ago the vet said it was just the rabbits immune system that had failed and the vaccine had not worked and said it was not worth reporting. So wonder how many people are told that.

I'm sorry Bluelop. I remember you losing your lovely rabbit :(

I expect we'll ever know how many vaccine fails there are if vets say stuff like that.

Back