• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
My bunny bronwyn has myxi. She has a large nodule on her nose but so far that's her only symptom. This is the second time as she fought nodular myxi and survived about 4 or 5 years ago so I feel such injustice that she's got it again. Her husbun Mork seems OK currently but I know he's probably going to contract to too and he's battled nodular myxi twice in his life also. :(

I am so terrified for them as they have both fought it off in the past but are now elderly (10 and 11) and were due their vaccines now so are right at the end of their year of protection. I hate living in a high risk myxi area.

Just wondering where I go next. I'm bringing Mork in to the vets for his jabs now to try to max his protection although I don't think it will make much difference as he prob has it already just isnt showing symptoms... I'm also bring Bron for some antibiotics and painkillers. Should I bring them inside so they're warm or leave them in their usual shed/run where they will be happy and not stressed? I will not separate them as it would do more harm than good. I also have two indoor buns and don't want them at risk...

I feel so helpless and distraught.

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this.

I think I'd probably leave them outside but put some extra warm things in their living quarters.

All paws crossed here.

I am so very sorry to read this. It is very unfair that she has it for the second time :(

I have had a vaccinated buck survive Myx, so I understand how distressing this is for you.

If it were me I would leave them outside. It was around this time of the year that we had it here and I kept the buck outside. Its very mild and I think the disadvantages of bringing her in outweigh any advantage.

I would also keep them together. It is definitely not inevitable that Mork will catch it. I kept my three together and the other two did not catch it, even though there was a lot of grooming of the nodules and eye discharge by the others.

As you are probably aware it is secondary infections and/or not eating that would cause death, not the virus itself. That being the case, I would do everything possible to help with these.

My vet prescribed Penicillin injections to ward off serious respiratory infections and I would certainly be wanting this type of antibiotic as I believe it offers the best possible chance. In my view it is far more effective than something like Baytril.

Have a look at Santa's blog. She has been treating her rabbit recently with Myx. I'll try to find the link for you and add it.

Sending loads of vibes for both your rabbits.

ETA Santa's blog https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
My bunny bronwyn has myxi. She has a large nodule on her nose but so far that's her only symptom. This is the second time as she fought nodular myxi and survived about 4 or 5 years ago so I feel such injustice that she's got it again. Her husbun Mork seems OK currently but I know he's probably going to contract to too and he's battled nodular myxi twice in his life also. :(

I am so terrified for them as they have both fought it off in the past but are now elderly (10 and 11) and were due their vaccines now so are right at the end of their year of protection. I hate living in a high risk myxi area.

Just wondering where I go next. I'm bringing Mork in to the vets for his jabs now to try to max his protection although I don't think it will make much difference as he prob has it already just isnt showing symptoms... I'm also bring Bron for some antibiotics and painkillers. Should I bring them inside so they're warm or leave them in their usual shed/run where they will be happy and not stressed? I will not separate them as it would do more harm than good. I also have two indoor buns and don't want them at risk...

I feel so helpless and distraught.

So sorry to hear this :(

I've been searching a few threads for you but I know you've done all this before. Have a read here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ular-myxomatosis/page6&highlight=nodular+myxi

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...vaccinated-myxi-rabbit&highlight=nodular+myxi

If it were me I would leave them together outside, where they will feel comfortable and secure. As you know, a pain killer and antibiotic cover are essential.

Sending you loads of vibes Bellatrix xx

Thanks so much for your replies. Reading g those threads gives me hope as some buns who were really poorly pulled through.

The vet is pretty optimistic at the moment. Mork doesn't have any obvious symptoms and no temperature but his nose is looking slightly swollen so the vet wants to wait to vaccinate him just in case. He said waiting a week wouldn't do any harm but vaccinating if he has myxi might.

Bron hasn't got a temperature. Her genitals are not swollen and her eyes and chest are clear. She has a very large nodule on her nose and a small one in her ear and on her chin/neck area.

He didn't have any penicillin as theyd run out and I wasn't 100% confident in him as he was a brand new trainee vet and I think he was just doing what I suggested but he's ordered some in for her for Monday and put Bron on baytril for now as well as antiinflammatory painkillers.

Poor buns aren't enjoying the rain today but I've kitted out their shed with new padded foam dog bed/blankets and spoiled them with extra veg and posh hay. I feel a bit dehydrated from crying but after an optimistic vets and seeing Bronwyn eating and snuggled up with Mork I feel a bit better. They've both fought this before and they are such fighters. If anybun can beat this Bron can.

Thanks so much for your replies. Reading g those threads gives me hope as some buns who were really poorly pulled through.

The vet is pretty optimistic at the moment. Mork doesn't have any obvious symptoms and no temperature but his nose is looking slightly swollen so the vet wants to wait to vaccinate him just in case. He said waiting a week wouldn't do any harm but vaccinating if he has myxi might.

Bron hasn't got a temperature. Her genitals are not swollen and her eyes and chest are clear. She has a very large nodule on her nose and a small one in her ear and on her chin/neck area.

He didn't have any penicillin as theyd run out and I wasn't 100% confident in him as he was a brand new trainee vet and I think he was just doing what I suggested but he's ordered some in for her for Monday and put Bron on baytril for now as well as antiinflammatory painkillers.

Poor buns aren't enjoying the rain today but I've kitted out their shed with new padded foam dog bed/blankets and spoiled them with extra veg and posh hay. I feel a bit dehydrated from crying but after an optimistic vets and seeing Bronwyn eating and snuggled up with Mork I feel a bit better. They've both fought this before and they are such fighters. If anybun can beat this Bron can.

Oh Bellatrix, poor you. I really feel for you :cry:

I hope you can rehydrate yourself tonight in the most fun way you can think of, because you surely deserve it. You've done everything you can for those little ones of yours and I'm sending my best vibes for them :wave:

Back