• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small scab under nose

Griff

Young Bun
Hi

About 3 weeks ago I noticed what looked like a piece of hay or straw under Poppy's nose (looked like a 1cm stuck piece of hay or cut which had got stuck on her fur). After a few days it was still there so we decided to have a good look and between me and hubby we got tweezers and pulled it off. It took the small piece of fur away but didn't bleed.
It then started to come back last week. Looks the same. Like a small round scab (straw coloured) just under one nostril. She's absolutely fine in herself, no signs of any problems at all. She's not scratching or bothered by it. It does seem to be growing slightly though.
Any thoughts on what it could be? I havent taken her to the vets yet but have been just keeping an eye on it thinking it's like a scab over a cut like we would have, but it's bigger 1 week on.

Its impossible to say what it is without being able to see it. It could be Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis). Lesions can just occur on the nose/lips and not on the genitals. It is not only breeding Rabbits that can contract it

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

As you probably know Myxomatosis causes nodules to appear on the eyes/nose/mouth etc, but usually there are more than just one lesion. There are usually other symptoms too. The lump/scab did not appear shortly after your Rabbit received a vaccination did it ?

As the lesion is not healing and appears to be growing I would take your Rabbit to the Vet as that is the only way to confirm what the problem is and to obtain any treatment deemed necessary.

Good luck

Hi

About 3 weeks ago I noticed what looked like a piece of hay or straw under Poppy's nose (looked like a 1cm stuck piece of hay or cut which had got stuck on her fur). After a few days it was still there so we decided to have a good look and between me and hubby we got tweezers and pulled it off. It took the small piece of fur away but didn't bleed.
It then started to come back last week. Looks the same. Like a small round scab (straw coloured) just under one nostril. She's absolutely fine in herself, no signs of any problems at all. She's not scratching or bothered by it. It does seem to be growing slightly though.
Any thoughts on what it could be? I havent taken her to the vets yet but have been just keeping an eye on it thinking it's like a scab over a cut like we would have, but it's bigger 1 week on.

Do you have a photo? :D

Hi. No looks nothing like that not as big or spread and just a small circle. More scab looking. Looks this morning like its a bit looser and might drop off. It's similar size to last time when we took it off but no bigger. Keeping eye on it.

Hi. No looks nothing like that not as big or spread and just a small circle. More scab looking. Looks this morning like its a bit looser and might drop off. It's similar size to last time when we took it off but no bigger. Keeping eye on it.

I hope it drops off without fuss. Then you can see how it heals and decide what to do about it.

Did you mention this at all - has he had a runny nose? I have seen that sort of thing (if it's what I'm imagining) before ...

Whoops. First attempt and they come out too big and fuzzy. You can hopefully see its a small (perhaps 1cm diameter) light yellow scab. Circular.
She's perfectly healthy and its not bothering her. I rang the vets and they asked the sensible questions. Theres no puss, no blood, she's not scratching it. She's fine in herself. No cold or sneezing. They said to take her in next week if I'm still worried. Seems to be similar size to before. Hoping it falls off and I can see what it might be.

Whoops. First attempt and they come out too big and fuzzy. You can hopefully see its a small (perhaps 1cm diameter) light yellow scab. Circular.
She's perfectly healthy and its not bothering her. I rang the vets and they asked the sensible questions. Theres no puss, no blood, she's not scratching it. She's fine in herself. No cold or sneezing. They said to take her in next week if I'm still worried. Seems to be similar size to before. Hoping it falls off and I can see what it might be.

Seems like sensible advice to me :D

Could be anything - healing from a little scratch, irritation from something ... Hope it clears up and doesn't come back!

Hi all. Been to vets this morning. It was getting a bit bigger and changed shape the last few days. Due vaccinations in a few weeks so just bought it forwards.
Anyway turns out it's a growth. They are going to operate to remove it in a couple of weeks (need to wait 10 days after vaccs). It's not particularly big and she's fine in herself but think it's better to get it removed. Simple op they say but obviously she will have to have anhestetic. Poor poppy. But at least we know what it is now.

Hi all. Been to vets this morning. It was getting a bit bigger and changed shape the last few days. Due vaccinations in a few weeks so just bought it forwards.
Anyway turns out it's a growth. They are going to operate to remove it in a couple of weeks (need to wait 10 days after vaccs). It's not particularly big and she's fine in herself but think it's better to get it removed. Simple op they say but obviously she will have to have anhestetic. Poor poppy. But at least we know what it is now.

Yes, it's a good thing you've found out what it is, and can begin to deal with it.

I personally would wait longer than 10 days post vaccination as it takes longer to develop full immunity. It's three weeks, and during that time, a rabbit's immune system is challenged to some degree. Waiting for three weeks will ensure she is in top form to undergo anaesthetic.

That said, it's only what I would do, and you should be guided by your vet.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/documents/community-register/2011/20110907107988/anx_107988_en.pdf

Back