• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any tips for a super hot bunny?

VikkiLou

Young Bun
So Salt is a lionhead cross (I think!?) and seems to be getting very hot. He breathing is very fast compared to his 2 companions who have slightly lighter coats. Have tried freezing a water bottle for him to sit with, no interest at all. Tried putting a cold flannel over him which he tolerated for a little while but he still seems to be breathing quite fast.

Anyone have any tips for cooling him down?

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

So Salt is a lionhead cross (I think!?) and seems to be getting very hot. He breathing is very fast compared to his 2 companions who have slightly lighter coats. Have tried freezing a water bottle for him to sit with, no interest at all. Tried putting a cold flannel over him which he tolerated for a little while but he still seems to be breathing quite fast.

Is he an indoor Rabbit ?

Yes indoor

Well having window blackout screens can help. Do you have a portable Air Con unit ? I have found that to be invaluable over the years. Of course it can be costly to run so you need to be mindful to only use it when absolutely essential and on the most economical setting possible. The Air Con' Unit I have is old now but it has certainly served my Rabbits well over the years.

You can construct a DIY air conditioner by draping a very damp cloth infront of an air fan. If you just use the fan it'll simply blow the hot air around rather than cool it down.

Damping down the Bunny's ears/back of neck can help.

I always fully clipped out my very fluffy Lionheads/Cashmeres in hot weather.

Making sure the Rabbit is well hydrated is obviously important. If your Rabbits use a sipper bottle offering water in a bowl may encourage them to drink more

I had a rabbit suffer from the heat, years ago now. Took him to the vets who gave him an injection of something (can't remember what) and advised if we had any tiled floors in the house (which we did - kitchen) to pop him in there on hot days. Worked a treat, that floor was horrible in winter with no slippers :lol: Hope you can get Salt a bit more comfortable x

Well having window blackout screens can help. Do you have a portable Air Con unit ? I have found that to be invaluable over the years. Of course it can be costly to run so you need to be mindful to only use it when absolutely essential and on the most economical setting possible. The Air Con' Unit I have is old now but it has certainly served my Rabbits well over the years.

You can construct a DIY air conditioner by draping a very damp cloth infront of an air fan. If you just use the fan it'll simply blow the hot air around rather than cool it down.

Damping down the Bunny's ears/back of neck can help.

I always fully clipped out my very fluffy Lionheads/Cashmeres in hot weather.

Making sure the Rabbit is well hydrated is obviously important. If your Rabbits use a sipper bottle offering water in a bowl may encourage them to drink more
Will try the make shift air con now. When you say you had them fully clipped as in shaved or am i being daft? We have never had long haired bunnies before so a bit naiive to there needs

Will try the make shift air con now. When you say you had them fully clipped as in shaved or am i being daft? We have never had long haired bunnies before so a bit naiive to there needs

I clipped them myself but unless you have the correct type of clippers and you are confident about doing it safely then you may need a VN to do it for you. Of course if your Rabbit were to be very stressy it could be counter-productive to do it at all. I would only want my Rabbit to be sedated just for clipping if it were absolutely essential for his/her health and well-being. I was lucky in that most of my Fluff Monsters were very calm, the only one who was a stress head was not clipped.

My girls have a marble tile to laze on. They love it on hot days as it stays nice and cool. I also put down wet towels for them to lay on (just don't forget it's there and walk across it with sock on)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I find my bunnies prefer it when I put the frozen water bottle in a sock/cover. They refused to use it when it was just the bare bottle.

My girls have a marble tile to laze on. They love it on hot days as it stays nice and cool. I also put down wet towels for them to lay on (just don't forget it's there and walk across it with sock on)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DP has given very good advice here :thumb:

Marble tiles (or even porcelain) are great for cooling an indoor bunny :D

I also use a small fan and windows open and blinds down (curtains closed).

Lionheads do hate the heat, poor souls. Mine seem to like sitting in a empty bathtub - something about being surrounded by cool ceramic on all sides. I've draped a damp flannel over them occasionally too.

Thank you everyone we have 4 fans running in different rooms of the house. We can't really open windows too much due to the kitten but the cold flannel over him seems to work best. He still insists on snuggling I'm the middle of his two girlfriends though, which just seems ridiculous to me but bunnies will be bunnies🐰

Back