• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

timing of vaccinations

cazba99

Young Bun
Hi guys
I know I could ask the vet this question, but I have been midering them on a weekly basis for ages about the RHVD2 vaccine (they have now confirmed it should be in next week and they will contact me when it is) so I don't really want to bother them yet again unless I have to.
Deedee is due to have her regular (myx/RHVD1) dual vaccination in early October, but Fred is not due for his until Feb 17. To save two trips and lots of stress do you think it would be safe to delay hers by two months to December and bring Fred's forward by two months to December so there is only one trip for them? Also will it be OK for them to have their RHVD2 vaccine now? I am worried that if Fred's dual vaccination is brought forward AND he gets the RHVD2 vaccination in the next couple of weeks it might be too much for his system. What do you guys think?

Hi guys
I know I could ask the vet this question, but I have been midering them on a weekly basis for ages about the RHVD2 vaccine (they have now confirmed it should be in next week and they will contact me when it is) so I don't really want to bother them yet again unless I have to.
Deedee is due to have her regular (myx/RHVD1) dual vaccination in early October, but Fred is not due for his until Feb 17. To save two trips and lots of stress do you think it would be safe to delay hers by two months to December and bring Fred's forward by two months to December so there is only one trip for them? Also will it be OK for them to have their RHVD2 vaccine now? I am worried that if Fred's dual vaccination is brought forward AND he gets the RHVD2 vaccination in the next couple of weeks it might be too much for his system. What do you guys think?

I'd get both of their RHD2 vaccinations done ASAP. As long as there is at least 2 weeks between the RHD2 Vaccination and the Nobivac one it will be OK.

As to delaying Deedee's Nobivac, well the RHD2 Vaccine covers for RHD1 too, but not Myxomatosis. Personally I would prefer not to delay it, but that is just my unqualified opinion. The protection a vaccine gives does not just switch off after a year, some protection may remain for longer. But given that it appears that a lot of Rabbits are still contracting Myxomatosis, despite being up to date with their vaccination I would not want to risk delaying a vaccine for 2 months. Not unless it were for a clinical reason-ie the Rabbit was ill.

Your Vet would be the best person to advise you on what to do in your situation :)

Hi guys

Yes I would definitely have the RHD2 vaccine now :D If your vet has it available, do it, as stock tends to run out.

Current advice is that you should leave three weeks between vaccination to ensure that full immunity has been achieved and also not to challenge the rabbit's immune system overly.

Have a read here for more info on RHD2

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-30-July-2016

What you are proposing sounds a very wise approach :thumb:

Hi guys
Thanks for the advice. When the vet calls to confirm that the new vaccine is in I will take them both for it straight away.

Back