• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gandalf doesn't seem right...

So our nearly 2 year old, neutered Blue Rex didn't eat his breakfast and is being very relaxed.
He's usually a relaxed rabbit unless he's binkying around the living room anyway but today seems different. He's just sitting in the corner, not doing really anything and doesn't even know want a rabbit drop (his usual favourite treat). The last week he's been shedding a lot of fur but having read up about the breed, it seemed normal, especially with the heat in the UK at the moment.

He's had days previously where he's been uninterested in his food, made us panic and then started eating again a few hours later or the following day...

His nose is normal, no sneezing, no dribbling. We're going to get him on the sofa in a moment and check for gassy sounds in his tummy.

Could it just be a combinations of the heat and him having an off day? Or is a trip to the vets the best thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually if a rabbit eats plenty of hay this helps push any ingested fur through the digestive tract. Otherwise fur can slow down the digestion and feel uncomfortable/painful. A Vet's visit may be in order - have you tried something like fresh grass to tempt him to eat? Rabbit drops - ? :D

He has hay the size of him every day, a GU sized pot of veggies (the leafy green variety not the sugary) and about 2 egg cups of pellets. Treats being rabbit drops (the little milk/chocolate button things) or the crunchy carrots.
There is fur in his poo (yes we love him that much we've had a good old rummage), but no other irregularities in his leavings.

Father in law says it's just the heat. We've given him a frozen bottle which he seems to be liking and we've got a fan on (not directly at the rabbits but just to get the air moving in the living room).

It sounds to me as though it could be gut slow-down, probably caused by ingesting lots of moulted fur.

Whilst it's possible that he could start eating again soon, if he's not eaten anything this morning and presumably you don't know if he's eaten during the night, I would take him to a vet this morning for an examination. This type of issue is so much easier to treat in its early stages and he may need pain relief as well as gut medication.

Sending lots of vibes for Gandalf.

He has hay the size of him every day, a GU sized pot of veggies (the leafy green variety not the sugary) and about 2 egg cups of pellets. Treats being rabbit drops (the little milk/chocolate button things) or the crunchy carrots.
There is fur in his poo (yes we love him that much we've had a good old rummage), but no other irregularities in his leavings.

Father in law says it's just the heat. We've given him a frozen bottle which he seems to be liking and we've got a fan on (not directly at the rabbits but just to get the air moving in the living room).

I don't think the heat would cause an appetite loss of any significance. If he continues not to be interested in food, you should definitely think about a vet visit :thumb:

It's impossible to say what the cause it, and it's immaterial really so long as you get him eating again. If he continues to have periods of 'off days' you can get the vet to investigate further.

Good luck xx

Does he eat most of the hay? Re the pellets, we usually recommend 1 eggcup full per day, not 2, although if he is under 6 months thrn 2 would be ok. Rabbit treats are not always very good for bunnies, hay is what he should be eating most of. The heat does not put rabbits off their food I can assure you of that! :D I have 48 bunnies and they are still wanting their dinner regardless of the heat!

Update - Gandalf is absolutely fine. Definitely putting it down to the heat, he perked up after an hour with his frozen water bottle which he laid next to for a bit.
Eat straight away too after cooling down.

I'm aware that the treats aren't the best for them, but currently starting clicker training with him so they are ideal as he loves them.

Update - Gandalf is absolutely fine. Definitely putting it down to the heat, he perked up after an hour with his frozen water bottle which he laid next to for a bit.
Eat straight away too after cooling down.

I'm aware that the treats aren't the best for them, but currently starting clicker training with him so they are ideal as he loves them.

Thank you for updating :thumb:

Glad to hear all is well :D

Back