PDA

View Full Version : He's not pooping properly :(

bananarama
25-08-2016, 08:37 AM
So my beloved bunny Freddy isn't doing so well. He's not been right since yesterday but I've held off going to the vet because my nearest one is a long drive away and Freddy freaks out during car rides.

He's drinking normally, and he's moving around as he normally would. His appetite is reduced but I did manage to tempt him into devouring half a large bunch of fresh parsley this morning so he hasn't stopped eating entirely. He is going to the loo but he's not pooping as much as he normally would, and when he does they aren't uniform. He's showing no signs of pain (teeth grinding, shoving his belly to the floor).

I rang then vet and they said I could bring him in if I wanted to get him checked but they weren't insisting that I go. Any advice? I don't know if the car ride would be too stressful for him.

RedFraggle
25-08-2016, 08:46 AM
I would definitely take him. It's always better to check before they stop eating completely.

MightyMax
25-08-2016, 09:09 AM
I would definitely take him. It's always better to check before they stop eating completely.

Agree - pop him in. It will be far more stressful for him to be ill.

EyerollChamp
25-08-2016, 09:16 AM
I would take him in sooner rather than later. These things can turn nasty so quickly. Good luck x

bananarama
25-08-2016, 05:31 PM
UPDATE: I got him to the vets about 45 mins ago. He has GI Stasis onset by a burr on his teeth or something like that. Going in for an operation tomorrow, he'll be coming home Saturday. My vet was lovely and very supportive. He's on Recovery liquid feed for tonight, plus hes been injected with strong painkillers that'll last for the next 24 hours.

bunny momma
25-08-2016, 05:41 PM
It is always a positive thing when the Vets can locate the cause when you're bunny is not acting normally.
Sending you positive vibes for a successful operation and a quick return to normal.
My Raven had a similar experience a few months ago and it took a few days after the dental for him to get back to being himself.

bananarama
25-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the positive vibes :)

I'm just glad to be getting him sorted out! Poor baby was famished he wolfed down his liquid food. He's been much perkier since the painkiller.

MightyMax
25-08-2016, 06:09 PM
UPDATE: I got him to the vets about 45 mins ago. He has GI Stasis onset by a burr on his teeth or something like that. Going in for an operation tomorrow, he'll be coming home Saturday. My vet was lovely and very supportive. He's on Recovery liquid feed for tonight, plus hes been injected with strong painkillers that'll last for the next 24 hours.

You are so brilliant for following advice and going to the vet! Lots of people wouldn't!

Good on you - please report back on your bunny and keep in touch :wave:

bunny momma
25-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Thank you for the positive vibes :)

I'm just glad to be getting him sorted out! Poor baby was famished he wolfed down his liquid food. He's been much perkier since the painkiller.

It is always a good sign when they want to eat. He is lucky to have such a caring person who noticed the issues early before he develped stasis or got dehydrated and weak.

Jack's-Jane
25-08-2016, 07:01 PM
It is always a good sign when they want to eat. He is lucky to have such a caring person who noticed the issues early before he develped stasis or got dehydrated and weak.

Indeed he is. Even on here I have seen posts from people claiming never to have taken a Rabbit in gut stasis to a Vet. I hope that Freddy will soon be 100% better x

bananarama
25-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Thank you guys so so much for your words of encouragement. I'll keep up to date with how he goes. I'm so glad I asked what to do here I may not have been to the vet as soon as I did, and it doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened to him!

Thank you guys again <3 x

MightyMax
25-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you guys so so much for your words of encouragement. I'll keep up to date with how he goes. I'm so glad I asked what to do here I may not have been to the vet as soon as I did, and it doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened to him!

Thank you guys again <3 x

If a bunny doesn't eat, you must go to the vet as you so wisely did! :D

You are right, it doesn't bear thinking about! x

EyerollChamp
25-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Good on you! Keep us updated, wishing him a speedy recovery x

Omi
25-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Sending Freddy loads of vibes. I hope he will soon be feeling completely back to normal.