• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deodorising carpets safely

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Has anyone used bicarbonate soda mixed with essential oils to deodorise their carpet? If so, is it considered safe for buns? My carpets stink :( We have just used a rug doctor on them and now they smell even worse!
Any other usuggestions welcome!

Damp carpets smell - so you may just need to give it a few days to dry out properly. Bicarb is good at sorting out smells - rub it in, leave for a few hours and vacuum out again. I wouldn't use essential oils on a carpet.

Has anyone used bicarbonate soda mixed with essential oils to deodorise their carpet? If so, is it considered safe for buns? My carpets stink :( We have just used a rug doctor on them and now they smell even worse!
Any other usuggestions welcome!

I have a steamer. It's works wonders, and I open all the windows ..

Damp carpets smell - so you may just need to give it a few days to dry out properly. Bicarb is good at sorting out smells - rub it in, leave for a few hours and vacuum out again. I wouldn't use essential oils on a carpet.
I agree: don't add anything. I wouldn't want oil in my carpet, it would make it difficult to clean and more likely to trap dust etc.

Weirdly I never thought about a steamer. Can you recommend a good one? :)
It still smells so I'm trying bicarbonate of soda on a small patch to see if it helps any.

Well I have an industrial sized one as I use it a lot, but Karcher has been recommended :D

Back