• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

House rabbit suddenly hurt leg

suenatal

New Kit
Hello, we have a house rabbit that hopped outside happily this afternoon, but then suddenly couldn't walk on its rear left leg and keeps falling onto her side. She is sitting quite happily in her cage and is eating and drinking, but I'm obviously concerned what has caused this. I'm wondering is she has perhaps broken a bone or been stung? She tries to hop but then rolls onto her side/back.

Thanks

Sue

Hello, we have a house rabbit that hopped outside happily this afternoon, but then suddenly couldn't walk on its rear left leg and keeps falling onto her side. She is sitting quite happily in her cage and is eating and drinking, but I'm obviously concerned what has caused this. I'm wondering is she has perhaps broken a bone or been stung? She tries to hop but then rolls onto her side/back.

Thanks

Sue

Welcome Sue :wave:

Don't waste time, go to a vet. At the very least your rabbit needs pain relief.

Good luck xx

I am sorry to read about your rabbit. I'm afraid you will need to take her to see a vet so that she can be properly examined. There could be several reasons causing her to act like this and it's only by having a vet examine her that you will know for sure. She may also need an x-ray. It's very probable that her leg is also causing her pain and so she will need some pain relief asap.

I hope that she will be OK. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Sue

Poor Bunny. I hope that you took Omi's good advice about consulting a Vet and that your Rabbit has now received any treatment deemed to be necessary. I hope that you will be able to let us know how you are getting on xx

Thanks

Sue

How's your bunny doing today Sue? :wave:

How's your bunny doing today Sue? :wave:

We've just got back from the vet and he thinks it might be E.cuniculi, so has given her a couple of injections of antibiotics and anti-flammatories and sent us home with a couple of medications to give her daily for the next 28 days.

She seems fine in herself and is eating and drinking quite normally, as are her wee and poo, and she seems in high spirits. I think after the initial shock of falling onto her side she is getting used to it and it more mobile around her cage today and falling over quite so much. Fingers crossed the medications will work, we just need to monitor her and keep her clean as she isn't able to sit up and clean herself like she normally would.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and concern xx

I hope your rabbit recovers in time - there is a lot of info regarding EC on the Forum in the Health Section.

We've just got back from the vet and he thinks it might be E.cuniculi, so has given her a couple of injections of antibiotics and anti-flammatories and sent us home with a couple of medications to give her daily for the next 28 days.

She seems fine in herself and is eating and drinking quite normally, as are her wee and poo, and she seems in high spirits. I think after the initial shock of falling onto her side she is getting used to it and it more mobile around her cage today and falling over quite so much. Fingers crossed the medications will work, we just need to monitor her and keep her clean as she isn't able to sit up and clean herself like she normally would.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and concern xx

You're welcome - thank you for updating!

I hope she will be OK. Do post back if you need help :wave:

Here's a good article on the subject ..
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

You're welcome - thank you for updating!

I hope she will be OK. Do post back if you need help :wave:

Here's a good article on the subject ..
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

Thank you everyone, she does seem to be on the mend, we've let her have a little supervised run around the house and she can hop small distances without falling. It does seem to be her back leg and front paw that are affected, and the vet did say it could also have been a stroke.

She still has a good appetite, but will no longer drink from her bottle, only from a pot of water, and can't sit up etc., to wash her face, ears. She doesn't "flop" over anymore either to sleep, which she did all the time.

My only concern is what impact it will have if she can't eat her droppings, which I am only guessing she won't be able to do, or am I worrying about nothing?

Other than that, she is doing good and is much more mobile than I had anticipated, so I'm very hopeful.

Sue

Thank you everyone, she does seem to be on the mend, we've let her have a little supervised run around the house and she can hop small distances without falling. It does seem to be her back leg and front paw that are affected, and the vet did say it could also have been a stroke.

She still has a good appetite, but will no longer drink from her bottle, only from a pot of water, and can't sit up etc., to wash her face, ears. She doesn't "flop" over anymore either to sleep, which she did all the time.

My only concern is what impact it will have if she can't eat her droppings, which I am only guessing she won't be able to do, or am I worrying about nothing?

Other than that, she is doing good and is much more mobile than I had anticipated, so I'm very hopeful.

Sue

HI Sue

Thanks so much for posting back, and I'm glad things are on the mend :wave: I hope she'll make even further progress and be able to clean herself etc.

Regarding the droppings and eating them, what I find is that the rabbit will do the droppings and then move away from them. Turn back and eat them from the floor. See how that goes ...

Loads of luck and good wishes xx

HI Sue

Thanks so much for posting back, and I'm glad things are on the mend :wave: I hope she'll make even further progress and be able to clean herself etc.

Regarding the droppings and eating them, what I find is that the rabbit will do the droppings and then move away from them. Turn back and eat them from the floor. See how that goes ...

Loads of luck and good wishes xx

Thank you I think she is doing that regarding her droppings, but she really is on the mend and has improved so much in the last week. She is now sitting properly and trying to use her paw, she is hopping virtually normally and back drinking from her bottle, so I'm very hopeful that she will have a complete recovery. Many thanks to you all for your concern.

Sue

Very glad to see that she is improving. Sending lots of vibes that it will continue.

Thank you I think she is doing that regarding her droppings, but she really is on the mend and has improved so much in the last week. She is now sitting properly and trying to use her paw, she is hopping virtually normally and back drinking from her bottle, so I'm very hopeful that she will have a complete recovery. Many thanks to you all for your concern.

Sue

Sue, what a lovely update :love:

Many more vibes for her complete recovery :D

Back