• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

Ooshaboo

Young Bun
My other half's son has decided he's getting a rabbit and he's going to call him Frank. We already have two and don't really have room for another one. His uncle has got one and don't think he has room.
He is autistic so once he gets an idea into his head he doesn't forget about it. I've tried persuading him to get Frank the goldfish to keep Gerry the goldfish company but he keeps saying a rabbit.
It will be us cleaning and feeding it as he's only down on the weekend and some holidays. He enjoys giving our two their breakfast and tea. He goes to do anything else when they need cleaning out.
What would be a better option? We have said Santa might bring something if he's good so we have time.

If he's only with you weekends and some holidays, tell him to get one at his (I'm presuming) mums :thumb: No way should you be having to look after it during week. It's over a decade of commitment. Besides which, rabbits do need company, so unless it's going to live with yours, he'll need two! Maybe a hamster? A lot shorter lifespan :wave:

Just re-read that he does anything else but cleaning out. Big nope from me. Autistic or not, kids need taught responsible ownership - and if he only wants the nice side, and not the cleaning side, he's already showing you the kind of owner he'll be (not trying to sound harsh!). Which leads me to believe he wouldn't clean out a hamster either.

I think a toy rabbit is in place.
He never said he wants a live one.
I'd explain reasons behind not getting a live one - the ones other have pointed out and the toys one will have to surface.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think the reason he doesn't do the cleaning out is because he gets spoilt, whilst at mums house he has to share with his sister. I really doubt they will get a rabbit, I think they have a few animals there anyway, none are his own. He did specify a real one, if we get another pet it would be for the sake of it.

I just saw a battery operated rabbit that hopped around with a toy carrot. It made noises that I think it needed to see a vet :-/

Back