• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too Hot To Handle

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
I'm so over this horrendous heat, and I can't even imagine how the buns must feel :( Bella & Bertie have crazy coats (they look like raggamuffins) - we were told they were Lionheads, but I think there must be angora mixed in there. They are like a pair of those big, furry slippers!

They have extra water, shady places to hide, ice pods and chill pods (they ignore the pods) but I worry it's not enough... At the moment, the door is open do they could come in and lie in front of fan but I'm not sure they understand it's cooler inside (OH is off today and tomorrow, thankfully). I've put out refrigerated herbs and apple too.

A big marble tile is good. It stays cool even in sun light.

I make ice cubes for the girls - grass, herbs, leaves etc

Mine eschew all efforts by me to cool them, I still try with frozen bottles, additional shade, slabs etc. But they seem happy tucking themselves away in the shady parts of their run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here they are:

n

Thanks Daphnephoebe - we used to have tiles, but they are gone... I don't know if someone put them in the bin by mistake (unlikely) or if I've left them outside to dry after disinfection and someone decided to help themselves (likely)...

Mine eschew all efforts by me to cool them, I still try with frozen bottles, additional shade, slabs etc. But they seem happy tucking themselves away in the shady parts of their run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes - bottles! Thanks, I'll try that :)

Draping a wet blanket over their run or a cage of some sort works wonders and mine love it. As for me... I'm melting. Literally. My head is currently running down my shoulders.

Draping a wet blanket over their run or a cage of some sort works wonders and mine love it. As for me... I'm melting. Literally. My head is currently running down my shoulders.

That's also a good idea - I'll think about how that would work. They free range in an enclosed outside area. There is an open hutch, but they don't go in it much. They have hidey-houses, tunnels and a castle from Manor Pet Housing that they move between... I could hand a wet towel on the washing line, perhaps.

Do you have a little frame you could hang the towel on or a chair you can use to create a shaded bit with towel too?

I used the frozen bottle wrapped in a teatowel thing yesterday: my two weren't lying on it but I put it in the area they were lying in and the kept going back to it. When I went out to see them later they'd rolled it into a more suitable position :) So it worked for mine (as far as I can tell :roll:)!

Good luck!

It's not too bad here, about 65 dgs, Treacle is loving it. I feel for you and anybun where it's really hot. I'm sure it won't last long ! :?

Bramble, who is a black otter has been lying on her side in the sunny spot sun baking all day! Daft bunny. I drape a wet towel over their step that they hide under. It's been left out there over the step since the last hot spell and I was bemused to see on Monday after such a wet day that they were choosing to sit on the wet towel, reacher than the rest of the uncovered step, or indeed inside. Logic doesn't apply to bunny apparently!

Back