• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So - this bond has failed - what shall I do? New rabbit?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
My girls bond broke down a while ago - and we've tried to rebond them.

It's not working - I've had to admit defeat. They just won't stop fighting. (Both are spayed).

They are 5 years old and house rabbits. Currently one is in the kitchen, the other in the sitting room. This can't continue. My house is a total mess - I don't mind the kitchen, but it's too much with both rooms being taken up.

So, one will have to move outdoors. However, she'll be lonely - so she will need a new friend. I don't particularly want to take on another pet, however, as long as they are bonded, they'll be together etc. so hopefully it'll be fine.

I need to adopt a rabbit, but every rabbit I see on the rabbit rehome page, is from a private family. Which is all good and well, but I really need someone to bond them, make sure they take to each other etc. before I'm committed.

What should I do? I'd like a rabbit a similar age to her as well.

Just feeling a bit sad, and slightly frustrated, that the bond isn't going to work, especially after they spent many years happily together.

Such a shame that they are not getting along :(

Have you bonded them yourself or has a rescue been involved? If yourself, then maybe some outside help may be good?

I'm sorry the bond's failed. :( As you're in Derbyshire, maybe it could be worth contacting Honeybunnies? I got my Morph from there, but bonded them myself. I know they can bond for you though.

Thanks guys @*lily* @tlcwrites - I asked and asked for a rescue to help bonding them before, I would have paid above the asking, but no one would do it.

Binky now has a big cut on her nose, Bailey has another scar on her ear...I would love for them to be rebounded but they aren't even 'circling' - it's full on, up on back feet fighting. I'll have a look at Honeybunnies - thank you. I'm on the Derbyshire / Cheshire / Staffordshire border if that widens the net at all?

What a shame. Do you know what caused the original bond to break down? I assume you've been trying to re-bond on neutral territory etc ...

It was nearly 2 years ago now (I know, it's been way too long getting them rebounded :-( ) - Bailey was pretty poorly, and it just threw out their hierarchy - Binky started trying to take charge but Bailey wasn't having it etc. Looking back, we should have tried to throw them in the car immediately after, but we didn't.

Yes, we did everything by the book...they've sat and ignored each other for a few days, but the little scuffles were not so little. Just gave them a clear out today which maybe I shouldn't have? But they just went mental as soon as I put them back in. They had taken their own territory within the crate where I was bonding them - barely any interaction but any interaction wasn't without a fight. People say two girls are hard to bond, but I'm sad still - they were from the same litter (before I even knew rabbit rescues existed!) about 5.5 years ago. They were always together until then.

I've found females the hardest to bond. Is there no way you could section something so that they can still see each other but not fight?

I had two doe dutches who were sisters. They were together since birth but their bond broke quite soon after I rescued them and further attempts to bond them was impossible. They lived a while separated by a fence and snuggled up through the wires.

Be prepared for a lot of marking if you tried this.

It does sound like someone else could bond them. Maybe a new rabbit from a rescue to make a trio may help. Also might make the rescue keener to help bond them?

i really feel for you, i have rabbits that are dad and son that hate each other, i think once they get in the habit of fighting its really hard to get them to change their minds, They fight through the fence if i dont constantly watch, I would love for these two to stop the fighting, even getting as far as just being able to ignore each other would be good at this point. Sorry im no help but i would be interested in any advice and expieriences people have.

They just spent two weeks in a friends aviary whilst we were on holiday - separated by just a mesh fence - that's why I hoped it would work after that - they could see and smell each other. One even got into the others enclosure for a day (they found her in there when they got back).

But I'm really at a loss...I just, I know it sounds selfish as well, but I'm tired of half of my house being a mess from the hay. I work and study and I am just tired of the constant sweeping. It's not so bad in one room, but as they are separate...hay gets carried throughout the house.

No one will bond them - I've looked and looked.

They sound like they get on better than mine, i know what you mean though they can damage each other in such a short amount of time. Is there no room to do the same as they did while you were on holiday. They might get closer overtime if they lived next to each other. Thats all i do all day is sweep, ive go 10 and its constant mess, im glad i dont work i wouldnt be able to do it. xx

Well I work full time and am also studying for a degree in my spare time, so yeah, I get tired of the constant mess.

No, they were with a friend, about 40 minutes away, so not really fair to ask them.

Thanks anyway - I just don't know what to do. I can't give one of them up, I just couldn't, but at the same time, if my new sofa gets (anymore!) chewed, I am gonna be pi**ed!!! Haha.

I had two bonded girls - they were fine at the rescue but as soon as they came home all hell broke loose and they had a massive fight and I was advised by the vet and the rescue not to try rebonding them. I think females can be super territorial so even if they get on fine away from home when you bring them back you just have no idea what would happen. I would think about moving one outside and finding her a new friend.

I had two bonded girls - they were fine at the rescue but as soon as they came home all hell broke loose and they had a massive fight and I was advised by the vet and the rescue not to try rebonding them. I think females can be super territorial so even if they get on fine away from home when you bring them back you just have no idea what would happen. I would think about moving one outside and finding her a new friend.

It's reassuring to know it's not just mine!

Having read through your thread, this sounds about the same advice as I would give. Females are notoriously difficult to bond and their bond can be fragile sometimes.

Can you manage to take on another rabbit for your female outside? I know you don't want to give one of them up, but that's the only other advice I reckon.

How sad - I'm so sorry you're in this position!!

Thanks @MightMax - Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I'm not sure who to move outside... Binky is the more interactive with us. Bailey is pretty aloof. But I think Binky would enjoy a friend more? I know - I don't know how I can know such a thing?!

Back